Whether you’re looking for brunch, treats, food trucks, al fresco or the best, most mouth-watering and authentic Philly cheesesteaks in town, look no further than these 11 places in Philadelphia where you can have an unforgettable meal.
With three locations in Philadelphia, Sabrina’s Café is the city’s brunch specialist. Friendly service combined with mouth-watering American fare and enormous portions are a winning combination for Sabrina’s. Philly locals rave about Sabrina’s Stuffed French Toast, a delectable challah French toast stuffed with sweet cream cheese, bananas and vanilla bean syrup. For something savory, go for the Barking Chihuahua, a gloriously filling breakfast burrito stuffed with scrambled eggs, black beans, red peppers and cheese. Sabrina’s brunch menu is constantly updated, so be sure to check out its Brunch Specials.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Address: 910 Christian St, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
Garces Trading Company
Jose Garces, the famed chef of American TV show Iron Chef, is creating a mini food empire in Philadelphia. From Andalusian tapas bar Amada to Mexican street food truck Distrito, the Ecuadorian-American chef is redefining Latin American fusion along the mid-Atlantic coast. Garces Trading Company, which opened in 2010, is a European style bistro and gourmet market that serves up some of the best brunches in the city. Garces Trading Co.’s weekend brunch option includes one main, one side, one dessert and unlimited Garces Trading Co. coffee. Try a funghi pizza with a stunning duck fat infused sourdough base or duck-fat fries. Before you leave, stop by the GTC market to pick up some cheese, charcuteries, pastries sauces and oils. See the brunch menu here.
Address: 1111 Locust St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
SPOT Gourmet Burgers
Grab a juicy, perfectly cooked Angus beef burger from SPOT Gourmet Burgers the next time you’re around 33rd and Arch. Or, make a special trip out – it’s worth it. SPOT’s bright yellow and red stall is hard to miss, and their burgers range from old school to the creative, with its Classic American burger sitting next to the Umami with pickled daikon, gochujang and teriyaki. Don’t go away without trying the signature SPOT burger with bacon, cheddar, coleslaw, dill pickle and SPOT sauce. Be on the lookout for specials like the ‘lobsta roll’ and Sloppy Joes. As with all food carts, be sure to check their Twitter feed to find out where they are!
Address: 2821 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19130, USA
Philadelphia was at the forefront of the food truck trend long before these mobile stalls became hyper trendy. Yet even in this city of food trucks, Cucina Zapata stands out. Fusing Thai flavors with a Mexican twist, Cucina Zapata occupies a distinct niche among the city’s numerous lunch time food trucks. Whether you chose a chicken satay taco or short rib, or even a Mexican Veggie burger, nothing, it seems, can go wrong on this menu. For the slightly more adventurous looking for an extra crunch, go for the Cap’n Crunch Crusted Tilapia Burrito. Wash your lunch down with a cool Thai iced tea. Although you’re likely to face a hefty queue, the food is certainly worth the wait.
Address: 3101-, 3141 Ludlow St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
King of Falafel
Recently crowned the 2013 Vendy Award for best street food in Philadelphia, King of Falafel serves an unbeatable falafel with tabbouleh, lentils and veggies. Located at 16th and JFK in Philadelphia’s Center City, the King of Falafel is a local landmark and one of the most enduring food trucks in the country, having been cooking up fresh, homemade Middle Eastern food for Philly since 1989. Next time you’re in the area, pop down to King of Falafel for a quick, cheap bite and find a spot in Philly’s famed Love Park for a perfect summer’s lunch.
What could be better than a combination of doughnuts and fried chicken? Federal Donuts, the brainchild of chef Mike Solomonov, owner of Philadelphia’s high-end Israeli restaurant Zahav, has become the go-to place for doughnut lovers. Federal Donuts combines perfectly fried cake doughnuts with decidedly innovative flavors including Cookies & Cream, Peach, Banana Cream Pie, Strawberry Ginger and Vanilla Lavender, to name just a few. Queue up early for doughnuts; Federal Donuts sells doughnuts from 7am until they run out, and run out they do. By lunchtime, it’s likely that hardly any doughnuts will be left on the shelves. Time your visit right, and you might be one of the lucky few to grab a red ticket that entitles you to a serving of fresh Fried Chicken.
Address: 1219 S 2nd St, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
Sweet Box Cupcake Truck
If you’ve missed the cut off for doughnuts and chicken, then check out Sweet Box Cupcake Truck – often found at Philadelphia’s Love Park. Flavors include Red Velvet, Chocolate Ganache, PB&J, Hot Cocoa and more. Sweet Box’s chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake is created with an achingly wonderful glop of cookie dough wedged in the center; with flavors like this, it’s hardly surprising that Sweet Box Cupcakes has developed an avid following in Philly. So popular is the Sweet Box Truck that it finally put down roots and recently opened a storefront, to the delight of cupcake aficionados.
Address: 339 S 13th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
There’s really nothing better than dining al fresco in summer in Philadelphia. Parc Brasserie is a throwback to French café culture, where people-watching and fine food combine for a perfect leisurely afternoon. Open for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner, book ahead if you plan to have brunch on the weekends.
Address: 227 S 18th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA
Another local favorite, Rouge has anchored al fresco dining in Rittenhouse Square since 1998. Serving weekend brunch and lunch and dinner on weekdays, Rouge offers an intimate spot for dining in the heart of Rittenhouse Square. Munch on a Rouge Burger whilst lounging outside and people-watching in Rittenhouse Square with the locals.
Address: 205 S 18th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103, United States
DiNic’s in Reading Terminal
Forget the Philly Cheesesteak and join the queue at DiNic’s. According to the America’s Travel Channel, DiNic’s serves the best sandwich in America and is run by the 4th generation of the Nicolosi family. Succulent mounds of juicy roast pork, deliciously sharp provolone and broccoli rabe is the must-try item here. As unimpressive as the combination may sound, it’s well worth a try as local and visitors swear by it. You can even ask to go au jus for a side of marinating juice to dip your roll in. Be ready to queue, however, as DiNic’s is located in Philadelphia’s ever-popular and ever-crowded historical Reading Terminal Market.
Address: Reading Terminal Market, 51 N 12th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
John’s Roast Pork
Whilst DiNic’s might have taken the crown for best sandwich in America, Philly locals are divided as to who might come out on top in a taste battle between DiNic’s and John’s Roast Pork. This old-school sandwich joint established in 1930 has been run by the same family for three generations. Keeping things simple, John’s Roast Pork has built its reputation on two things – Roast Pork with Provolone and Cheesesteak, Philadelphia’s iconic sandwich. John’s cheesesteaks are indisputably authentic; thinly sliced steak is served on freshly baked Italian with sesame seeds and toppings with absolutely no Cheez Whiz in sight. Do check the hours before heading out though, John’s is closed on weekends and after 2:30pm.
Address: 14 Snyder Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148, USA
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.