Philadelphia is home to plenty of incredible art, but many may not know about the mosaic wonderland in the heart of the City of Brotherly Love just waiting for visitors to explore it. Here’s a brief history of Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens—a mosaic installation and gallery.
Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens, located on South Street between 10th and 11th Streets, is a nonprofit art installation and gallery populated by mosaics, found pieces, and everything from kitchen objects to bicycle wheels that have been handcrafted into surreal works of art. The space is the largest one to date created by the artist behind it, whose name is Isaiah Zagar.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How the space came to be
Zagar and his wife, Julia, found a home on South Street during the end of the 1960s, when the city was considering razing the entire area to build highway expansions (specifically, to create a Crosstown Expressway that would conceivably link two other area highways, I-76 and I-95). Thanks to this proposition, the area was deserted, uninhabited, and, in fact, rather dangerous, but Zagar and his wife saw the value in it and opened a gallery at 402 South Street called the Eyes Gallery, their first project, which was also the first building that Zagar used to create his signature mosaic pieces and which also sold work primarily by Latin American artists.
Zagar bought the building that is now home to today’s Magic Gardens in 1994, among several other buildings that he used to create murals and public art. Once the vacant lots near the Magic Gardens became available, he purchased those as well. Zagar spent 14 whole years building the Magic Gardens, which are characterized by incredibly large murals made from sparkling shards of glass, everyday items like kitchen tiles and bicycle parts, shattered mirrors, and other found objects that can create art. In 2002, the space found itself in danger, as the owner of lots near the Magic Gardens wanted to sell. Luckily, the South Street community, who was rejuvenated by a massive upswing in the entire neighborhood, banded together and raised the money to purchase those as well so that Zagar’s work could continue uninterrupted.
Explore this mosaic wonderland
The Magic Gardens are, first and foremost, an enormous and interactive art installation, but it also functions as a gallery, which resides inside and hosts artists’ work from all over the world that is related to the gardens in some way, whether these works are mosaic, ceramics, or anything that can be considered “outsider art.” They also offer educational programming, host private events and performances, provide frequent tours, and, most importantly, mosaic workshops. If you visit the Magic Gardens and love them, be sure to check in on many of Zagar’s other works within Philadelphia, including murals in the South Street area and Old City’s Painted Bride Theater, but if you’re on a visit to the city, don’t miss this gorgeous world of mosaics, ceramics, and imaginative art.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.