Philadelphia’s Old City neighborhood is home to plenty of historic structures, but one of the most significant is Christ Church, which is where famous figures such as George Washington and Benjamin Franklin prayed during their time in the city. Here’s a brief history of Philadelphia’s Christ Church.
The founding & construction of the church
In 1695, several erstwhile members of the Church of England helped found Christ Church, which was initially a modest wooden structure on the site where today’s elegant church now resides. What we see today was built between 1727 and 1744, and the steeple, which was added to the church in 1754, made the church the tallest building at the time in the entirety of North America. To this day, it remains one of the country’s most important and beautiful 18th-century structures, and it is also a perfect example of Georgian architecture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The exact architect of the church is still unknown, but many believe that John Kearsley, a doctor who oversaw most of the construction, was responsible and was helped by John Harrison. In 1777, Robert Smith rebuilt the church, and in 1883, Thomas U. Walter renovated the interior.
One of the most notable features of the entire church is William Penn’s baptismal font, which is still in use today, but during the church’s heyday, many prominent Philadelphians and Americans prayed here. Fifteen signers of the Declaration of Independence prayed at the church, including Revolutionary War leaders like George Washington, Robert Morris, Benjamin Franklin, Betsy Ross, and more. The Reverend William White, who was the rector of Christ Church during the Revolutionary War, was also the Chaplain to the Continental Congress and the United States Senate. To this day, brass plaques are placed where each of these important people once prayed.
The evolution of the church
In the fall of 1785, several states sent deputies to meet at Christ Church and elect a leader, and Reverend White was eventually chosen to propose that Christ Church become an Episcopal church in the United States, with the approval of the Church of England. After an arduous process, which involved creating a new liturgy that led to the first American Book of Common Prayer, White submitted these two documents to the Church of England, and once he became the first-ever bishop of the Diocese of Pennsylvania, he sailed to England to argue the case for this church. Upon his return, the first meeting of the House of Bishops took place at the church, and it officially became the first real General Convention of the Episcopal Church in the United States.
The church today
This structure serves as a unique combination of a historical site and an active church—it still fully functions as an Episcopal church—and it is also the final resting place of a few notable Americans. Reverend White is buried in the church’s cemetery, as are Charles Lee (a general in the Revolutionary War) and Robert Morris (a signer of the Declaration of Independence). Benjamin Franklin and several other signers of the Declaration are buried at a nearby cemetery that bears Christ Church’s name. All in all, this historic church attracts over 250,000 visitors each year and stands as a remnant of Philadelphia’s religious roots.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.