An outdoor adventurer’s playground, Mount Ashland, in Oregon, is a prime location for a rugged rural escape. Pick from our list of lodges and stay right in the heart of the action – bookable on Culture Trip.
Sitting right on the border between Oregon and California, Mount Ashland has a reputation for serious outdoor pursuits. In winter, it’s home to the Mount Ashland Ski Area, with 200 acres (81ha) of pistes, while throughout the rest of the year, there’s plenty of hiking, mountain biking and nature-loving to be done. Whatever you’re here for, when you take up residence in one of our recommended country inns and guest houses, you’re free to explore this prime mountain location at your own pace.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Whether you’re dining under the stars on wooden decking or snuggling up by a wood fire, rustic charm is the vibe at this pine-enveloped lodge. Just 10mi (16km) – or a 15-minute drive – from Mount Ashland, Callahan’s is also close to Lake Emigrant National Park and southern Oregon’s clutch of fine wineries. The premium and luxury suites are particularly good for hikers or skiers – and they come with jacuzzis, so you can soothe tired legs at the end of the day.
The name of this Ashland B&B sounds like something out of a romantic novel – and the location could well be in one, too. Five rolling acres of land (2ha) – with gardens, ponds and a heated swimming pool – provide a gorgeous and well-maintained backdrop to your stay. The inn building is a stunner too, complete with wraparound porches and nine immaculate rooms. If you want a truly romantic experience, opt for one of the suites – featuring wood burners, private patios and jacuzzis.
This bed and breakfast in Ashland – around half an hour’s drive from the ski resort – is a particularly good find for cyclists. You can fully revamp your bike while here with the free cleaning and repair kit, or leave them in the secure lock-up before hitting one of the local trails. Foodies will also be delighted with the multi-course breakfast here – including home-baked goodies and fresh quiches – served on a deck outside under an oak tree when the weather allows.
Every attention has been paid to comfort at downtown Palm Cottages. Each of its 16 rooms, suites and studios have king and queen beds, flat-screen TVs and pillow menus – while several have fireplaces for the colder months. The best perk is the surrounding garden: with its curvaceous salt-water pool surrounded by day beds, a picnic area and lush planting.
A classic and cozy choice, Ashland Flagship Inn is more spacious than a boutique hotel but friendlier than a high-rise chain. The location – on Siskiyou Blvd right next to the South Oregon University – is great for those wanting to access all the sights and local culture of the city, as well as the mountains beyond. The rooms are furnished in florals and checks – homely without going overboard on chintz – and the outdoor pool feels like a real perk for such a central location.
There’s a relaxed, retro vibe to this hotel in the northern, hilly part of Ashland – with the trademark splashes of peppy orange in the decor and diner-esque restaurant, Luna. It’s a top choice for skiers, running a free ski shuttle to Mount Ashland Ski Area during the winter months. In the summer, active guests can make the most of the hotel’s outdoor tennis courts, fitness center, free bike hire, pool and hot tub.
It’s not surprising that this Ashland mansion feels a cut above. Built by gold-prospector-turned-Ashland-Mayor John McCall in 1883, the house became an upper-crust guesthouse back in 1981. Today, it’s an impeccable blend of period antiques, signature bathroom amenities and gourmet two-course breakfasts. Optional in-room massages and freshly baked cookies every afternoon are just a couple of the touches that continue to put McCall House in a class of its own.
This many-gabled inn and its several annexes offer a wide range of options to its guests. Choose from simple rooms, suites – many with jacuzzis – and even standalone cottages, if you want something a little more independent. All accommodation options offer a complimentary breakfast, with the option to dine in the award-winning Alchemy Restaurant and Bar. Winchester Inn is also close to shops, galleries and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival – all in downtown Ashland.
Deep in the countryside – on the edge of the Hyatt reservoir – this cabin really helps you and your family feel away from it all. Aside from the outdoor adventures on your doorstep, you can revel in all the rustic home comforts that this woodland lodge provides. In winter, it’s all about family meals at the dining table, warmed by the wood-burning stove. Come summertime, while away long evenings out on the porch, playing one of the supplied board games. All year-round, it’s a cozy, rustic place to spend your holiday time.
Just a 20-minute drive from Mount Ashland ski resort, this spacious, three-bedroom cabin has incredible views across the Siskiyou mountains. There’s a reason this place is called Sunset as when dusk falls, there’s no escaping the full glory of the sun’s last rays – whether you’re barbecuing out on the decking or sitting in the glow of the picture windows of the plush living room.
For more stays that are ideal for your ski vacation, see the best hotels in Keystone, Colorado and the best hotels near Beaver Creek, Colorado. Get some inspiration for your ideal slope by seeing the best California ski resorts.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.