On the western slopes of the Cascade Mountains, the Umpqua National Forest shelters Eagle Rock, an incredible rock formation down the river from Old Man and Old Woman Pinnacles. Book a lodge on Culture Trip to stay nearby this natural Oregon masterpiece and get close to the action.
In the surrounding area, four established climbs create endless possibilities for hiking and sightseeing. The distinctive landscape here – shaped by dramatic geologic events – has created spectacular scenery made up of high mountain lakes, wild rapids and tranquil ponds. Inside the National Forest, there are impressive waterfalls, including the 293ft (89m) Watson Falls on the North Umpqua Highway.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Surrounded by the unbridled spirit of Central Oregon, Brasada Ranch is surrounded by 2,000 acres (809ha) of land – featuring panoramic views of the Cascade Mountain Range, an award-winning golf course, an exclusive Athletic Club and recreational activities such as sunset horseback rides, live concerts and barbecues under the stars. There are 65 family-friendly cabins and eight adult-only Ranch House suites, all boasting upscale amenities and comfort. Two on-site signature restaurants serve local specialties, while farm-fresh provisions are available to be purchased. In addition, a modern spa provides a tranquil setting for beauty and body treatments.
The Best Western Prineville Inn is a centrally located property in Oregon, offering easy access to Prineville Reservoir and Painted Hills. Home to charming and spacious rooms and suites, the hotel caters to every sort of traveler who will certainly feel at home with its many amenities. Most rooms feature a refrigerator, microwave, desk, a single-serve coffee maker and free high-speed wifi. Complimentary breakfast, a heated indoor pool and a year-round spa are just some of the standard services that you can enjoy after a day of sightseeing or business meetings. Other amenities include guest laundry, meeting facilities and a cozy lobby complete with a fireplace.
Country Inn and Suites warmly welcomes you with true hospitality and a deep sense of community that brings people together. Thoughtful touches will make you feel right at home – among them a hot breakfast with make-your-own waffles and free wifi. Comfy beds and mattresses, cozy sitting areas facing a fireplace and a relaxing pool area are some of the amenities that you’ll no doubt enjoy the most. Business travelers will find the business center with computer and printer access a convenient feature, too.
With 49 mindfully designed rooms and suites offering a minimalist style – including the use of sustainable and regionally sourced products – the SCP Redmond is a great hotel in which to rest your head. On the premises, the SCP Fit includes flexible space with Peloton bikes, TRX, yoga mats, weights and more, while there’s also a separate space for meditation. Rooms include high-speed wifi, environmentally friendly furniture and coffee that’s locally sourced. This well-refurbished hotel boasts unique vintage artful touches, a huge lobby with a convenient market, and a rooftop terrace to savor small tapas, seasonal handcrafted cocktails and admire panoramic views of the Cascade Range.
Sleep Inn and Suites is near the beautiful Smith Rock State Park, offering endless rock climbing possibilities. Just off of Highway 97, the location grants easy access to Redmond’s top attractions, including the High Desert Sports Complex and the nearby Deschutes National Forest – with its miles of scenic trails for hiking, biking and birdwatching. After a day of exploring, take a dip in the indoor heated pool and hot tub or work out in the fitness center. Guest rooms are stylish and fresh with natural inspiration – while amenities include a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, flat-screen TV and more.
Pioneer hospitality and authentic ranch atmosphere are key at the Wilson Ranches Retreat, a former ranch house built back in 1910. Right in the heart of Oregon, the retreat showcases a peaceful environment rich in history in the beautiful Butte Creek Valley, minutes from Fossil. Wilson Ranches is a working cattle and hay ranch, offering a memorable opportunity to experience horseback riding and simple ranch life in Eastern Oregon’s high desert. If you’re interested in nearby sightseeing, enjoy a quick daily breakfast or – even better – request an early saddle bag breakfast before leaving for a day out on an adventure.
Ponderosa Lodge in Central Oregon is a great place to enjoy unforgettable outdoor experiences. Indulge in hiking, biking, fishing or golf during the summer – or skiing, snowmobiling and snowshoeing in winter, among other recreational activities. The property is close to many top destinations to enjoy the wildlife, but also features unique stores and antique shops for some retail therapy. Guests often choose this place to witness events such as the Sisters Rodeo, the Folk Festival and the Quilt Show. Rooms are spacious and convenient, while the hotel’s small business meeting facilities make it a good spot for business travelers – there’s also a great outdoor pool and spa.
These unique cottages are an ideal base to explore regional landmarks such as Painted Hills, Smith Rock State Park and John Day River. Located in the pioneer town of Mitchell, the units cater to romantic getaways or family vacations. Each cottage has a private garden and barbecue, a kitchen and a comfy living room space. The property is surrounded by awe-inspiring landscapes – enjoy different Oregon counties nearby, drive along scenic routes and through ghost towns, as well as discover the local rugged landscapes with looming rock formations that bring the Old West to life.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.