Some Portland bakeries are completely gluten-free, but you’d never know from tasting their mouthwatering loaves of bread, pastries and desserts.
Portland is a foodie’s paradise. The city’s food cart culture is something to behold. Plus, vegetarian and vegan options are boundless, and gluten-free restaurants are abundant. However, those with celiac or those who simply want to cut wheat out of their diet have a harder time finding a bakery that caters to their needs and tastes good. Complaints of gluten-free baked goods are usually the same: the bread is too flaky, the pastries too bland, the desserts too dry.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
These seven Rose City establishments manage to cut out the wheat without sacrificing flavor and texture. They also operate out of totally wheat-free facilities, so those with a severe intolerance can treat themselves without fear. Next time you’re in Portland and eating gluten-free, check out these seven bakeries.
Aside from being completely gluten-free, Back to Eden also operates out of a vegan kitchen and is aware of common allergies (soy, nuts, potato, coconut, etc.), so it makes an effort to omit those ingredients from its cooking and baking whenever possible. The bakery also mixes its own flour blend that is nut-, soy-, coconut-, potato- and bean-free.
The café is rooted in Northeast Portland’s Alberta neighborhood and serves a full breakfast, lunch and dinner menu, as well as delectable pastries (think raspberry rose brownies). However, if you’re coming to Back to Eden specifically for the sweet stuff, the Dessert Bar next door to the café or the Bakery food cart in Woodstock are where you want to go.
Gluten Free Gem is one of the city’s oldest quality purveyors of GF sweets. The bakery has been selling its tasty baked goods all over the city in cafés and markets, including Floyd’s Coffee, The Arbor Lodge, Kure Juice Bar, New Seasons, Zupan and Green Zebra, for years, and now, it has a retail shop of its own. It operates out of a completely gluten-free facility, so no matter where you are on the spectrum, you can enjoy that muffin, brownie or custom cake without fear.
Kyra Bussanich attended the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu patisserie program and is the only four-time winner of Cupcake Wars, so with those accolades, Kyra’s Bake Shop is a must-visit. The gluten-free bakery is just outside of Portland, in Lake Oswego, but it’s well worth the drive. Her cupcakes, donuts and muffins are fluffy, moist and bursting with flavor. If you’re craving something more savory, the café also offers a selection of delicious breakfast and lunch items.
Wheat-free eaters have long praised New Cascadia Traditional because its bread actually tastes and feels like bread rather than that flaky, odd-tasting mess usually associated with GF loaves. Aside from some of the best gluten-free bread that you can find in town, the Southeast bakery also specializes in muffins, scones, cakes and other delicious baked goods. Stop in early for a lox-covered bagel or challah french toast during Sunday brunch. Cruise in for lunch and scope out the various sandwich and pizza options. And if you have celiac, fear not – the bakery is 100% gluten-free.
Eight years ago, Jenn Pereau had a piece of raw, vegan cheesecake in Austin, Texas, that changed her life. Upon returning home, she began experimenting in her kitchen in an attempt to replicate that heavenly dessert. She succeeded, and in the process, she concocted so many other raw, vegan delights that she decided to start a business: Rawdacious Desserts.
Pereau’s sweets can be found in restaurants all over Portland; however, it’s easiest to find her creations at Tiny Moreso, Pereau’s new little café in the Cully neighborhood. There’s a case stocked with Rawdacious treats, as well as a new menu of plant-based, gluten-free desserts, snacks, salads, smoothies and more.
Petunia’s Pies & Pastries has got it all – if you’re looking for gluten-free, vegan eats. As the name suggests, the downtown café offers a variety of decadent pies, pastries, donuts, cakes, bars and ice cream in homemade waffle cones. That said, Petunia’s also serves a wide selection of savory fare, including breakfast sandwiches, biscuits and gravy, mac and cheese, and pizza that is 100% gluten-free and 100% vegan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.