Portland, one of the most progressive cities in the U.S. for farm-to-table, locally grown food, has many awesome and fun farmers’ markets to hang out at on the weekend, whether shopping for groceries, dining at food trucks, catching some live music, or just people watching. We’ve highlighted some of the best in our list below.
Portland Saturday Market
Celebrating its 42nd season, Portland Saturday Market attracts vendors selling all sorts of whimsical and quality crafts and arts, from jewelry to scarves to plants. Every Saturday and Sunday, March through to Christmas Eve, Portland’s Old Town China Town district transforms into a bustling open-air market. With 232 booths and a thriving membership of over 350 artisans, Portland Saturday Market is one of the liveliest places to visit on the weekends.
Portland Saturday Market, Governor Tom McCall Waterfront Park 2 SW Naito Pkwy Portland, OR USA +1 503-241-4188
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
King Portland Farmers Market
A Sunday market running from May to November, King Portland Farmers Market is a place where local Portlanders shop for their groceries and go to try out the food carts. You’ll find vendors like Dancing Chicken Farm, Draper Girls Country Farm specializing in ciders and apples, Eatin’ Alive dedicated to healthy eating, and Temptress Truffles. Food carts and restaurants include Tierra del Sol Cuisine, Enlighten Your Palate, and C’est Si Bon! specializing in crepes.
King Portland Farmers Market, NY Wygant Street and NE Seventh Avenue, OR USA +1 503-241-0032
Buckman Portland Farmers Market
This Thursday evening market attracts families, friends, and neighbors of Southeast Portland to listen to live bands and musicians, munch on street food, and shop for farm-fresh produce. Vendors include Eva’s Herbucha selling healthy and tasty kombucha, Gathering Together Farm, Missionary Chocolates, and Secret Slice, selling tasty pizza. With 25 or more vendors available, families can buy all the ingredients necessary for a completely local and organic dinner.
Buckman Portland Farmers Market, Portland, OR USA +1 503-241-0032
Hollywood Farmers Market
Now open year-round, Hollywood Farmers Market attracts a variety of vendors and Portlanders looking for tasty, farm-to-table food. Vendors include Ancient Heritage Dairy selling tasty, fresh cheese, Fleur de Lis Bakery, Gluten Free Gem that even does wedding cakes, and Ippai, a Japanese and Asian comfort food vendor. Every Saturday from May to Thanksgiving and twice a month in the winter months, the Hollywood Farmer’s Market opens with over 50 vendors, plus community booths and musicians.
Hollywood Farmer’s Market, 4420 NE Hancock St Portland, OR USA +1 503-709-7403
Portland State University Farmers Market
With live music and chef demonstration that include kids’ cooking classes, Portland Farmers Market, located next to Portland State University’s campus, is a great place to spend the afternoon shopping, eating, and enjoying life. This place has over 200 vendors that come and go in the 140 stalls, including seafood, cheese and dairy, produce, nut, wine, and hard cider sellers.
Portland State University Farmers Market, SW Park Ave Portland, OR USA +1 503-241-0032
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.