Stillwater, a small city in the state of Oklahoma, is known as the original home of country and western ‘red dirt music.’ Slightly less than an hour’s drive to either Tulsa or Oklahoma City, Stillwater is well positioned to help tourists see the most of Oklahoma, a state full of native American history. Due to its rich culture and heritage, the town boasts a multitude of stunning restaurants. Here’s our favorite to visit in town.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Cool as a snowflake and just as unique, Eskimo Joe’s is a fun bar in Stillwater Oklahoma. The bar is a centre for the local community. Themed dinners, live music and more provide great entertainment for guests and visitors on an almost nightly basis. Somewhat of an institution, this bar has actually been open since 1975, serving great food since day one. Dinner kicks off with a selection of starters, with options including all manner of cheese topped fries (some with bacon, peppers and more), while main dishes of pecan smoked pork or blackened chicken make for a delicious repast.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Eskimo Joe’s, 501 W Elm Ave, Stillwater, OK, USA, +1 405 372 8896
The Original Hideaway Pizza first opened in 1957, situated in a small brick building a stone’s throw from the campus of Oklahoma State University. Just a small restaurant in the early days, Hideaway’s 12 tables were easily filled by the hungry students studying nearby. The restaurant is famed for its happy-go-lucky approach, with singing waiters and occasional streakers turning this venue into Stillwater’s go to location for fun. All of the pizzas are big, even the so-called ‘small’ ones, and come with a variety of indulgent toppings. On the off chance you don’t like pizza they also have a number of pasta or sandwich options.
The Hideaway, Oklahoma State University, OK, USA + 1 405 372 4777
Deceptively named Pagoda Pizza, this restaurant is definitely not about your favourite Italian foodstuff. Rather, it serves Asian comfort food at its finest, taking inspiration from medieval Japan. Using the crepe-like okonomiyaki, a Japanese pancake, as the ‘base’, pizzas come topped with all manner of Asian specialties. The yin and yang pizza comes topped with shrimp and bacon, while the Fuji comes with extra spring onions, cheese and a fried egg. All pizzas are covered in the signature (and delicious) Godzilla sauce.
Mobile foodcart – check website for details of latest location
It’s safe to say that there isn’t anything much more traditional than a kitchen built around the tenants of a previous generation, and that is one of the many qualities of Granny’s Kitchen. The menu is small, but consists entirely of the dishes that your mother’s mother used to make. Breakfast options focus mainly around eggs, with omelettes, country style burritos and eggs benedict all helping to kick start your day. Lunch options move onto include pot roasts, barbecued ribs and chicken and cheese quesadillas. There are, of course, a number of burger options available too, all of which are suitable for the meat and bun addicts out there.
Granny’s Kitchen, 1006 S Main St, Stillwater, OK, USA, +1 405 743 1299
Brooklyn’s Contemporary Comfort Food
Taking inspiration from the Big Apple, Brooklyn’s Contemporary Comfort Food serves modern American indulgence fit for all the family or friends. Run by the fourth generation of the Geresi family, who first settled in Brooklyn from Italy in the early 1900’s, the restaurant features recipes and dishes steeped in family history. Chicken fried steak (a flattened steak with mashed potatoes and gravy), Sicilian style meatloaf, and chicken and ricotta waffles, are all comfort dishes, designed with feel good factor in mind. There are also a number of great upmarket dishes too.
Bad Brad’s Bar-B-Que
Bad Brad’s Bar-B-Que is a typical American smokehouse, serving up the best in barbecued meats and sides. In the USA, barbecue is serious business, and each state likes to do things their own way (as do most barbecue restaurants). A small family run operation, Bad Brad’s has two sites in Oklahoma, one in Yukon and one in Stillwater. The Stillwater establishment offers starters of breaded fried cheese sticks, onion-breaded green beans and cheesy fries. Main meals are not for the faint hearted, huge piles of slow cooked pork, chicken, beef and ribs can be combined with any number of sides. The saddle buster, an enormous plate of all three, is a challenge for only the bravest of diners.
The Ranchers Club
As the name might suggest, The Ranchers Club in Stillwater is big on beef and especially steaks. Incorporating elegance with an overall appreciation for the simple things in life, The Ranchers Club is decorated unpretentiously. Furnished with simple ‘cowboy comforts’, guests can expect to find antler decorations, wooden stools and leather upholstery throughout the restaurant. The Ranchers Club also exhibits a number of oil paintings, each depicting an individual interpretation of life on the ranch. There is a wide selection of steaks available, from filet to T-bone, with an equally impressive selection of sides. If you fancy a surf and turf, simply add a lobster tail to your steak plate.
Zannotti’s Wine Bar
Zannotti’s Wine Bar, nestled in downtown Stillwater, is a little gem of a Tuscan restaurant. A hit with wine lovers, Zannotti’s specialises in serving a great number of imported European wines, leaning naturally towards housing a selection of Italian bottles and vintages. The restaurant is well known for its live music and its tasting table, which is a dining table where bigger groups can enjoy a guided experience through the more refined elements of Italian cuisine. Dishes make the very best of Tuscan inspired ingredients, focussing on fresh meat and vegetables, as well as a variety of pasta options.
A quintessential Japanese restaurant, Tokyo Pot is decorated as if it is straight out of the land of the rising sun itself. As diners might expect, dishes are centred around delicate and clever flavour fusions, which when combined land a tasty and powerful punch on the tongue. As well as popular sushi rolls, Tokyo pot also features a great number of noodle and rice dishes, which is useful when catering for people who can’t quite get to grips with the concept of raw fish. With an authentic take on Japanese food, this really isn’t one to miss.
Tokyo Pot, 108 W 10th Ave, Stillwater, OK, USA, +1 405 372 8898
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.