Cincinnati’s Kings Island Amusement Park is the biggest amusement and water park in the Midwest and one of America’s favorite theme parks. If you’re planning a trip to the park, you’ll need to know what to expect. Our guide will help you know when and how to get there and how to plan your day.
Kings Island Amusement Park is the largest amusement park, spanning 364 acres, in the Midwest and one of the most popular theme parks in the U.S. The park opened in 1972 and lies in Mason, Ohio, 24 miles (38.6 kilometers) northeast of Cincinnati.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cincinnati’s Kings Island Amusement Park is open daily, beginning in late May and continuing throughout the summer. After that, the park is open on select days and for seasonal events.
Check out Kings Island’s variety of savings opportunities and season passes if you plan to visit the park more than once.
Rides at Kings Island Amusement Park
Rides are available for every age level and desired “thrill quotient” at Cincinnati’s Kings Island Amusement Park. Roller coasters are a big draw, including Mystic Timbers, which was voted the Best New Ride of 2017 by Amusement Today magazine. If you’re into adrenaline rushes, you’ll want to try The Beast, which is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest wooden roller coaster in the world. And if you consider yourself fearless, take a ride on Diamondback, the fastest and tallest roller coaster at Kings Island.
Other thrill rides at Kings Island Amusement Park include the 26-story Drop Tower, the world’s tallest Gyro drop, and the park’s fastest ride, Slingshot. At Soak City, Kings Island’s water park, kids will love the water slides and other big-splash favorites like the massive waterfall ride, Congo Falls. If you’re bringing little ones along (or if you just prefer a milder day at the amusement park), you’ll want to check out the many gentler rides, including the Grand Carousel and the K.I. & Miami Valley Railroad. And if it’s a view of the park you’re looking for, bring the whole family to the to-scale replica of the Eiffel Tower that you can climb together.
Shows and Attractions at Kings Island Amusement Park
There’s a variety of live entertainment at Kings Island Amusement Park every day. The live shows include animal shows, mini-musicals featuring trained actors and singers, live musical performances, and circus-themed special events featuring acrobats and cirque performers. During the holiday season, you can sing along to your Christmas favorites with the park’s performers. Kids will also love meeting their favorite Charlie Brown characters and other costumed friends throughout the park.
Food and Refreshments
Cincinnati’s Kings Island Amusement Park has a variety of options for snacks and sweets, as well as sit-down breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. In addition to the park’s famous blue soft serve, which is sold throughout the park at places such as Planet Snoopy Ice Cream, quick bites are also available at fast-food spots like Chick-Fil-A and Auntie Anne’s.
The park also boasts many Cincinnati food favorites, including the famous Skyline Chili, the Cincinnati Reds-themed Reds Hall of Fame Grille, and Graeter’s Ice Cream. You can also find craft beers, frozen alcoholic drinks, and wine at the Coconut Cove Bar and Bier Garten, or sit down with your family for full-service dining at Festhaus.
Cincinnati’s Kings Island Amusement Park makes for a great family holiday trip, as the park hosts a range of seasonal events at Halloween and throughout the month of December.
From late September to late October every year, Kings Island hosts Halloween Haunt, featuring spooky mazes, haunted rides, and roving monsters throughout the park. The Great Pumpkin Festival is the family-friendly alternative to Halloween Haunt and features corn mazes, trick-or-treating, and live shows.
WinterFest is one of Kings Island’s most famous attractions and draws thousands of visitors every year. On certain nights in November and December, the park transforms into a winter wonderland. Your family can sample holiday treats such as baked goods and hot chocolate, buy holiday gifts from artisanal vendors, take in live shows like Charlie Brown’s Christmas Spectacular, sing along with carolers, go ice skating, and gaze at millions of sparkling lights.
Where to Stay Nearby
The Great Wolf Lodge is positioned adjacent to the park. Great Wolf is a family-friendly indoor waterpark resort with a variety of attractions of its own, including pools, live shows, glow-in-the-dark miniature golf, family bowling, and water slides. A variety of discount packages will help you save on parking, food, and accommodations if you want to combine your stay at Great Wolf Lodge with a visit to Kings Island Amusement Park.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.