Bryson City, North Carolina, is the perfect place for adventure-seekers looking to leave real life behind and jet off to the green embrace of the Great Smokey Mountains. But what to eat when you get there? Turns out there are some great restaurants in Bryson City. Check out our picks for the 10 best spots below.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Filling Station Deli
Sandwich Shop, American
The owners of The Filling Station love food, their town, and making residents and visitors happy by providing them with amazing food. Their many choices of soups, salads, and especially sandwiches will have you spending forever deciding, but the food is well worth the wait. Once you’ve enjoyed your lunch, it is imperative that you save room for dessert. The restaurant has taken ice cream sandwiches to a level that you’ve probably never imagined before, pairing each of their exciting soft-serve flavors with the specific cookie to create the best-tasting combo. How about blueberry ice cream with a white chocolate lemon cookie, or mocha ice cream with a caramel dark chocolate cookie? These are just the beginning.
Restaurant, American, Healthy
Whatever time of year you decide to come through Bryson City, you’re likely to find Mountain Perks full of loyal locals and satisfied visitors. The restaurant is known for its drinks, both hot and cold, including cold drip coffee, real chai tea, and an exciting array of frozen drinks to cool you down on a hot North Carolina day. If you’re hungry, try a bagel sandwich, the bagels are homemade, so they’re guaranteed to be fresh every day. The menu also includes some delicious wraps, and there’s a gluten-free or vegetarian option for just about everything, too.
We’d all like to go back in time every once and a while, something that’s not usually possible, except when you run into a place like Soda Pop’s Ice Cream Parlor. It was built as a model of ice cream shops from the 1940s and 50s, complete with a red-checkered floor and nostalgic candy choices. They make their signature ice cream flavors by custom-blending extra ingredients into a base, including both a long list of regularly available choices and seasonal specials like pumpkin pie cheesecake and chocolate peppermint. For a real vintage experience, try one of the fountain floats, made the same way they were when your grandparents were children.
River’s End Restaurant
Bryson City is a great starting point for adventuring, and the Nantahala Outdoor Center is a great place to set you up with whatever you need, from kayaks to zip lines to great eats. River’s End is the center’s flagship restaurant on the Nantahala River, where each table has a view of the river and all of the kayaks going by. You can enjoy the mountain air while chowing down on a broad range of healthy American foods that will prepare you for your next hike. If you’re in the market for a good brew, River’s End has an excellent beer list, too.
Bryson City Cork & Bean
Bistro, American, $
You can tell from its name that Bryson City Cork & Bean has you covered from your morning coffee till your nighttime wine. Beyond great drinks, they make a real effort to maintain local and sustainable business practices, which means that their menu changes seasonally based on what’s available. Their weekend brunch mixes southern classics, like cheddar cheese grits, with healthy, organic ingredients, like roasted kale, to create unique combinations that will stick with you long after you’ve finished your meal. In fact, you might want to make time on your trip to come back here multiple times, just like the locals do.
Everett Street Diner
Diner, American, $$
A local favorite is Everett Street Diner, located right on Bryson City’s main drag. It is often very busy, especially on weekend mornings, but servers move through tables pretty quickly and whatever you order will be worth the wait. This is another classic diner in the fact that its true value doesn’t reveal itself until you dig into the meal that arrives in front of you. Try a heaping plate of French toast, cooked perfectly and served with a side of breakfast meat. The omelets are also a general favorite. This is definitely not a place you’ll leave hungry.
Fryemont Inn Dining Room
The historic Fryemont Inn is a gorgeous place to stay in Bryson City, but even if you’re not a guest of theirs, you can still enjoy a delicious meal in the historic setting and cozy surroundings that their dining room offers. You’ll find a nice spread of options at breakfast, but their dinners are what keep people coming back again and again. All meals come with soup and salad to warm you up for your entrée, which will likely include either trout caught in the local mountain area or some expertly prepared meat. The Inn retains the same charm of the very first buildings in the area, and few things are nicer than enjoying a good meal in its elegant dining room.
Jimmy Mac’s Restaurant
If you’re looking for a nice, filling steak after a day out in the mountains, check out Jimmy Mac’s, Bryson City’s premier steakhouse. They don’t limit themselves to just steak, they also pride themselves in the fresh seafood that they offer, which will make you forget that you’re on the opposite side of the state from the ocean. They also know a thing or two about barbeque; when it comes to their menu, you can’t go wrong. They’ve been around since 1979, so it’s clear that they’ve managed to do something right over the last few decades to keep people coming back.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.