As one of America’s favorite drives, Blue Ridge Parkway features a relaxing ride with stunning landscapes vistas and close-up views of the rugged mountains and pastoral landscapes of the Appalachian Highlands – book a hotel nearby on Culture Trip.
Extending for over 450mi (724km) along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains through North Carolina and Virginia, the parkway protects a huge diversity of flora and fauna and offers countless activities such as hiking, cycling, picnicking and camping. In the surrounding areas, you can also admire some of the oldest settlements in America.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This truly unique venue offers a genuine Southern atmosphere and unforgettable welcoming hospitality. Featuring non-smoking and pet-free rooms and suites, distinctive amenities include comfortable king and queen beds, a convenient coffee maker, high-speed Wi-Fi and a delicious morning continental breakfast. Enjoy the magnificent heated seasonal pool or explore the surrounding area. Located at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the hotel is only a short drive to Pilot Mountain State Park, Hanging Rock State Park and Stone Mountain.
The imposing Chetola Resort is situated within walking distance of the quaint mountain village of Blowing Rock and adjacent to the amazing National Park nestled within the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina. A magnificent fit if you’re seeking to disconnect from a busy lifestyle, the resort features beautiful mountain lodging, upscale comfort food, awe-inspiring activities and relaxing hospitality. Within the resort premises, the Bob Timberlake Inn is a unique bed and breakfast with a 1920s-1940s atmosphere – offering a personal pantry, wine and cheese evenings, freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies, complimentary breakfast and a library to wind down in.
The Courtyard Asheville is a pet-friendly hotel, located only a few minutes from adventurous experiences, such as hiking, biking, touring and thrilling river sports. This hotel is conveniently close to several award-winning restaurants as well as unique craft breweries open to the public. Start your day with an energetic cooked-to-order breakfast or enjoy an evening cocktail, light dinner, or appetizer at the on-site restaurant before sitting by the fire pit at the garden patio. Guest rooms feature delicate plush Serta beds, coffee-making facilities and ergonomic workstations.
Indoor pool, complimentary continental breakfast, a fitness center, a meeting room and a business area are just some of the amenities that you’ll find when booking a stay at the Hampton Inn Hillsville. Right in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and only steps from the Southwest Virginia Farmers Market, you can venture along the Beaver Dam Creek Walking Trail, the New River Trail State Park and the Shot Tower State Park – all within a few minutes from the hotel.
Right on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Switzerland Inn is a unique accommodation option in the relaxing environment of the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Here, you’re invited to choose between the casual quarters in the Main Lodge, the fantastic suites with inspiring mountain views, or the comfy rustic cottages – all elegantly appointed, featuring ample seating spaces and modern comfortable amenities. Additionally, you can make use of the relaxing spa, enjoy excellent on-site fine dining and admire the stunning surrounding landscapes.
Elegant and owner of exceptional views, Primland’s Collection of varied accommodation includes the elegant lodge – with its fine-dining restaurant, serene spa and observatory tower – as well as luxurious rooms and suites overlooking the world-class golf course and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Other stunning lodging possibilities include the romantic designer treehouses, perched on the lip of the Dan River Gorge and the rustic mountain homes among other suites and accommodation experiences. On-site activities range from hiking along countless trails, mountain bike or horseback riding – while a selection of exclusive restaurants reflects Primland Resort’s farm-to-table ethos.
Asheville’s magnificent Biltmore Estate is arguably the finest example of the city’s stunning architecture. The magnificent chateau is a National Historic Landmark sitting on an impressive 8000-acre (3237ha) estate. Offering every perk of a home away from home, the Residences at Biltmore are a collection of elegantly appointed homes with modern comforts, including comfy rooms and fully equipped kitchens. However, if cooking is not your thing, Azalea Bar & Kitchen – in the Biltmore lobby – serves innovative Southern American cuisine made from locally sourced produce.
Right in the heart of Boones in North Carolina, this exquisite boutique hotel offers a unique getaway to visitors. The hotel features 15 elegantly appointed rooms – some pet-friendly – with awe-inspiring 360º views of the main streets in town. Among the luxurious amenities, enjoy plush robes and complimentary artisan breakfast with locally roasted coffee. Indulge in delicious cocktails and tasty artisan snacks at the rooftop bar – as well as visit nearby locations in town, like the Mast General Store, ASU and the Kidd Brewer Stadium.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.