The historic house museum of Biltmore Estate is a must-visit attraction when touring Asheville, North Carolina. Stay nearby in one of our top picks – now bookable on Culture Trip.
Biltmore Estate was built between 1889 and 1895 and is the largest privately owned house in the United States. An outstanding limestone mansion inspired by a French château, it features 250 rooms spreading over 135,280sqft (12,568sqm) of living spaces. Adjacent to the main entrance lies Biltmore Village, a community planned and designed to reflect life in an English country village – with its own church, hospital, shops, school and railroad depot.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Indulge in a stay at Biltmore Estate by checking into the on-site Inn, where you’ll experience world-class service surrounded by an elegant atmosphere and sweeping estate views. The inn features splendid suites surrounded by the breathtaking Blue Ridge Mountain oasis. Here, you can unwind by exploring a more than 12sqmi (31sqkm) park, attending organized outdoor activities, hiking, biking and much more. Experience luxurious pampering moments at the spa – and choose between the delicious culinary offerings paired with award-winning wines at the four-star Dining Room or go for a more casual selection of drinks and snacks at the Library Lounge.
Biltmore Village Inn is a Victorian bed and breakfast on the top of a hill, with amazing views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Swannanoa River Valley – just a few minutes from the historic Biltmore Estate. Built back in 1892, the property preserves its unique atmosphere, while still offering modern luxuries and amenities – and the rooms are classic, bright and elegantly appointed. Breakfast is a key moment at Biltmore Village Inn, and it’s prepared with great care and attention to detail. The delicious two-course breakfast features tasty seasonal dishes and a selection of teas and locally roasted coffee from Dynamite Roasting Company.
Superbly situated to explore beautiful western North Carolina and situated near Biltmore Village, this Asheville hotel is in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Among the resort-style amenities, enjoy spacious rooms with a fridge and a microwave, as well as the property’s seasonal sundeck, indoor swimming pool and free parking. The lodge is just a short walk from Asheville’s Fun Depot with family attractions such as mini-golf and arcade games. The lovely downtown Asheville is a 10-minute drive, where you can discover Asheville Brewing Company and the Bountiful Cities Edible Garden.
Conveniently close to downtown Asheville – as well as to many of Asheville’s renowned breweries, the River Arts District and the Asheville Mall – the Beaucatcher is a perfect place to stay if you are also planning to visit the Biltmore Estate and Blue Ridge Parkway. The boutique motel features newly renovated guest rooms with quality accommodation and affordable rates. All rooms are smoke-free and include a microwave, a fridge and a relaxing patio or a balcony. Distinguished by its modern architecture, the hotel is artfully styled – guest reviews particularly praise the cozy atmosphere of the courtyard, complete with a fire pit and barbecue.
Right in the Montford Historic District of Asheville, the Applewood Manor sits on a knoll surrounded by giant wild cherry and apple trees, oaks and pines. Only 3mi (5km) from Biltmore Estate – and close to the Blue Ridge Parkway – this is an ideal gateway to many outdoor adventures. Rooms feature top-of-the-line beds and linens and curated bath products, luxurious robes, fine teas and coffee, homemade cookies and Bluetooth speakers. Every morning, the property offers a complimentary farm-to-table breakfast with locally sourced ingredients – enhance your stay by taking advantage of the cycling and culinary programs.
A unique ambience and upscale accommodation are what you’re bound to meet at the Windsor Boutique Hotel in central Asheville. The hotel is within walking distance of the best restaurants, breweries, shops and galleries in downtown Asheville – featuring luxury suites with a fully equipped kitchen and an ample living room where you can unwind. The on-site spa features exclusive body treatments and massage therapies. The hotel is home to a fine art gallery and a wine bar, while showcasing exquisite pieces of local and French artwork.
An elegant bed and breakfast, the Reynolds Mansion is close to Asheville’s main attractions. The Mansion is one of the few brick houses surviving in western North Carolina from before the Civil War. Part of the legendary ghost-hunting activities that have made Asheville famous, Reynolds Mansion is an absolute see-it-to-believe-it home. Your stay in any of the comfy rooms is highlighted by a full, gourmet three-course hot breakfast. Instead, those who need an early cuppa joe will find freshly brewed coffee and hot water for tea available anytime from any of the coffee bars located on each floor.
Haywood Park Hotel invites you to indulge in a fully luxurious stay. This boutique hotel offers exceptional amenities that you can combine with interesting Asheville experiences, including the city’s fabulous food, art, theater, breweries, live music and nightlife – and is located in Asheville’s former iconic department store. Today, the venue features the most luxurious suites in downtown Asheville, including comfortable, plush beds with fine linens and upscale amenities. There are two different gastronomic proposals: Isa’s French Bistro and Hemingway’s Cuba Rooftop Restaurant, with a creative Cuban menu and some of the best views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.