Labor Day might be swiftly approaching, but that doesn’t have to mean the end of summer. One way to extend all those summer feels is to get a spray tan that you can maintain all the way into autumn. As Culture Trip’s fashion and beauty editor, I searched Manhattan for the best spray tan, and found body artist Marlena Orlowska of Paul Labrecque Salon, who has mastered the art of the spray tan to give you glowing skin. Here’s what makes this New York’s best spray tan.
Because the skin is the body’s largest and fastest-growing organ, serving as a protective barrier for internal organs and fluids, it’s vital to your health that you make wise choices in what skincare products you slather (or spray) on to it. In addition to being a protective barrier, the skin rids the body of toxins and helps prevent waste build up. Therefore, taking care of your skin helps you care for your overall health.
In my search for the New York’s best spray tan, it was vital to find a formula that wouldn’t disturb the skin’s equilibrium and a formula that won’t deposit chemicals into the skin. For vanity reasons, I also didn’t want that tell-tale orange tint, and I was looking for a spray-tan to help contour my body, giving the appearance of a more toned body than I actually have.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
My search led me to Marlena Orlowska of Paul Labrecque Salon, where the spray tan formula is made from a micro nutrient technology that delivers a potent blend of vitamins and antioxidants to boost the skin’s natural glow. Plus, the formula is paraben Free, gluten Free, 100 percent vegan, nut allergen free, and unscented.
I arrived at the salon freshly exfoliated and changed into a paper thong for my application. Here’s what I learned about the art of the spray tan:
Jill Di Donato: What are the three most important instructions to follow when getting a spray tan?
Marlena Orlowska of Paul Labrecque Salon: Be sure to exfoliate the day before or morning of your appointment. Stay dry and cool for eight to ten hours after receiving the treatment, and use only oil and alcohol-free products on your skin after the tanning process.
JDD: Your formula is organic. Why is that important?
MO: The herbs in the Paul Labrecque Air Bronze formula help provide green undertones to prevent the skin from turning orange. That really gives you a flawless, dewy look.
JDD: How can you extend the use of the spray tan?
MO: Again, don’t use any products that contain oil or alcohol on your skin. I also like and suggest the Hampton Sun Sunless Tanning Mist to keep your color looking even and great.
JDD: How can I prevent my spray tan from rubbing off on my clothing?
MO: Wear loose, dark clothing until you’re able to shower for the first time after receiving a spray tan. Keep in mind that any residue or color you see on your clothing will wash out.
The results (note: I have extremely fair skin with red undertones)
The spray tan delivered and stayed fresh for a solid ten days. It did rub off on my sheets, but not severely, and after one wash, my sheets were white again. As for my skin, it stayed healthy and was aglow.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.