A city break in the Big Apple won’t leave you exhausted with our rundown of restorative restaurants, sanctuary-like spas and soothing places to stay.
New York may be the city that never sleeps, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get your 40 winks. In fact, there are plenty of spots across the city designed to help you do just that, from calming yoga classes and stress-busting spas to soothing outdoor spaces. Take a moment to live in the present with our laid-back lowdown on how to find peace in NYC.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you like restaurants with an inventive plant-based menu, a beautiful, well-stocked bar and unbeatable restroom selfie game, you’ll love Ladybird. This intimate vegan tapas and wine bar on the Lower East Side counts music legend Moby among its investors – and once you’ve tried the mushroom bao buns and green-pea fritters you’ll be singing its praises, too.
The first hotel from luxury fitness brand Equinox caters to all your wellness needs. Start your day with an on-demand guided meditation in your room, followed by a swim in the rooftop pool overlooking Vessel – a spiral staircase statue that signals you’re in the Hudson Yards hotspot. You might want to try a complimentary HIIT, barre or spin class, or simply work out in the gargantuan gym. Prefer to soothe your soul at the spa? Channel your inner Gwyneth with some cryotherapy or a vitamin IV drip.
Sometimes, all you need is a little perspective – a way to feel reassuringly small. That’s certainly what you’ll get at the Edge, the western hemisphere’s answer to Dubai’s cloud-piercing Burj Khalifa. The outdoor skydeck is 1,131ft (345m) high, and the observation room on the 100th floor offers 360-degree views of Manhattan and beyond. The experience is life-affirming at any time of day, but when skies are clear, you can’t beat the sunset slot.
Rooms at this celeb-approved hotel in Tribeca (owned by Robert De Niro, no less) have rain showers and luxurious Duxiana beds – your ticket to a deep, restorative sleep. Chill out in the private plant-filled courtyard or in front of the drawing room’s open fire, but don’t miss the Japanese-inspired spa. Let your tensions melt away with a traditional shiatsu treatment and a soak in the onsen tub, or get red-carpet-ready with a vitamin C facial.
Ready to feel the burn? This slick pilates company has a few venues scattered across the city and state, but their Manhattan spot has a prime location on the Bowery – New York’s oldest street – and its own kombucha bar to boot. The “Abs, Arms, Ass” reformer class will help stretch and tone your limbs, and likely leave you aching (possibly for more).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.