Home to world-famous landmarks, outdoor entertainment and more, New York City’s Central Park boasts a lot to see and do. Fuel up for a day of exploring at a nearby brunch and breakfast spot.
Love reading Culture Trip? How about travelling with us! Our Culture Trips are small-group tours that truly immerse you in a destination through authentic travel experiences. You can also embrace slow travel and the joys of journeying by train on our eco-friendly Rail Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sip a flat white at Bluestone Lane
Directly across the street from Central Park and set snugly next door to the Church of the Heavenly Rest is Australian café mini-chain Bluestone Lane. You’ll find a host of light, healthy offerings, such as coconut quinoa and oat porridge; banana bread topped with ricotta, toasted pecans, fruit and honey; and the requisite avocado smash. During the warmer months, diners spill out onto the sidewalk café, eating and sipping flat whites with Central Park as their backdrop.
Grab a muffin at Sarabeth’s
It’s hard to ignore the lengthy wait at Sarabeth’s, but it does make sense; the acclaimed spot has been an Upper East Side institution since 1983. In the white tablecloth-clad dining room, breakfast and brunch run the gamut, from lemon ricotta pancakes, frittatas and omelets to cornmeal-crusted English muffins. Although you’d be remiss to pass on Sarabeth’s basket of muffins, you can always grab a couple of sweets at the bakery counter on your way out.
Sample Café d’Alsace’s French fare
The Alsatian charm is in full effect at Café d’Alsace, from the berries tucked into the thin sheaths of crepes to the soft, flaky croissants. After all, at the helm of the kitchen is Philippe Roussel, a third-generation chef who calls France home. Here, Roussel brings a bit of France to the Upper East Side in the form of croque-madames teeming with bubbling cheese and a sunny-side-up egg, and a delicate crepe soufflé with passion fruit coulis.
Fill up on seafood at the Mermaid Inn
The Mermaid Inn is a quiet sanctuary in the Upper West Side. Seafood-forward brunch dishes like smoked salmon eggs benedict are offset with creative cocktails like a pomegranate margarita and the Mermaid Mary, doused with Old Bay-spiced Mary mix.
Try Good Enough to Eat’s American breakfast
Good Enough to Eat has been crafting simple, homey American breakfast fare on the Upper West Side since 1981. The servers may be surly and the crowds outrageous, but the food is undeniably good enough to eat. Eggs can come just about any way – whisked into omelets, poached atop corned beef hash, scrambled in breakfast tacos – while pancakes are studded with chocolate crumbles, apple slices, oats and cornmeal.
Do brunch, Southern style, at Jacob’s Pickles
Pickled food, unsurprisingly, features heavily on the menu here – there are pickled eggs, carrots, tomatoes, jalapeños and cucumbers – but this Upper West Side establishment knows its way around biscuit breakfast sandwiches, too. Choose from 14 varieties, which can come flush with sausage gravy, cheesy grits and house-made preserves. After feasting on pancakes and grits, you can walk it all off. After all, Central Park West is only two blocks away.
Indulge in a boozy brunch at the Penrose
There’s seemingly always a wait to get into the Penrose, especially on weekends when brunch is served. This half bar, half restaurant certainly knows a thing or two about cocktails. A particular highlight is Mister Pink, made with pink-peppercorn-infused tequila, hibiscus and lime. Once seated, sample fun dishes like French toast sticks (to be directly plunged into brown-butter maple syrup), mac and cheese bites, and fried chicken and waffles.
Hit up Madison Avenue’s greasy diner, Viand
Madison Avenue certainly seems an unlikely spot to house a greasy diner, but sandwiched between single-family brownstones and fancy high-fashion boutiques is Viand, a minuscule diner founded in 1976. The narrow, hallway-like space is divided into cushioned booths on one side and a counter, dotted with swiveling chairs facing the kitchen, on the other. The teeny kitchen specializes in your favorite diner fare: eggs every way, towering stacks of pancakes, thick slabs of French toast and milkshakes. Here, you may be sitting elbow-to-elbow with your neighbor, but that’s OK; you’ll also be sipping bubbly egg creams and dousing pancakes with an unending supply of maple syrup.
Fall down the Rabbit Hole at Alice’s Tea Cup
Alice’s has two locations (the only difference is the Upper East Side site is larger than the Upper West Side’s) to pinky-up for high tea. Both establishments are Alice in Wonderland themed and lean into the fantastical and whimsical of their namesake. The menu is strewn with illustrations of a falling Alice and ticking clocks, along with dishes like The Mad Hatter, a tiered platter of scones and dainty sandwiches. Breakfast options also include pumpkin pancakes, create-your-own crepes and a variety of tea, poured into charmingly mismatched cups and saucers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.