Using a sustainable fashion approach to dressing, the New York stylist behind Aura Wear NYC claims to read energy, invoke color theory and create a holistic wardrobe that isn’t based on passing trends, but rather on fashion personality.
Your outward appearance can convey your innermost longings to the world, so you might not want to take dressing cues simply from what’s trending each season. Enter Susanna Merrick-Klinkbeil, who founded her personal styling company Aura Wear NYC in July 2018. “Your wardrobe should reflect not only who you are, but also who you aspire to be,” she says over a vegan lunch in Soho, New York.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Merrick-Klinkbeil spent years designing color therapy jewelry, but wanted to expand her business to personal styling. “My pastor told me that I have the gift of encouragement,” she says. After studying the work of Edgar Cayce, an American clairvoyant prevalent in the 1900s, who many consider the father of the New Age Movement for his pioneering work in therapeutic nutrition and auras, Merrick-Klinkbeil wanted to bring a holistic approach to fashion styling.
The work of Dr. Barbara Bowers, linking color theory and personality type, was also highly influential to Merrick-Klinkbeil’s approach to styling. In 1989, Bowers published the seminal book on auras, What Color Is Your Aura?: Personality Spectrums for Understanding and Growth. The book categorizes human personality traits, correlating them with a set of 14 different colors. The book includes several personality quizzes that help you understand your nature, and thus the color of the energy that surrounds you.
Are possessions important to you as a stepping stone to power and influence? Do you do believe ideas are things or mental abstractions? Answers to questions like these cumulatively help assess your aura, with the understanding that auras are fluid and change over time. Whether or not you believe in auras is not as important as the exercise of being self-reflective, and taking time out to carve self-understanding that can help you solve the conundrum of deciding what to wear.
“I’m not a psychologist,” says Merrick-Klinkbeil, who wants to make sure her clients know that her approach is meant to be fun, light, and playful, not diagnostic. She’s offering a slow fashion approach to wardrobe styling and personal shopping that eschews fast-fashion consumerism and seasonal trends. Inspiration on dressing comes from within, in opposition to fashion cycles dictating what to covet and why.
When meeting with a client, Merrick-Klinkbeil gets a sense of who they are professionally and personally. She’ll then inquire about their closet to get a sense of their staples and gaps. “My mantra is to invest in joy pieces – that one garment or accessory that will make you smile from ear to ear,” she says. “My job is to help you fill the gaps in your closet, because that’s where the most love is needed.”
A lifelong fashion aficionado, Merrick-Klinkbeil has relationships with designers and labels who favor one-of-a-kind pieces and small batch production like In God We Trust, Intentionally Blank, Rachel Comey, Mr. Larkin, Heinui and Ajaie Alaie. “I believe in minimalism,” she says, outlining the principles of slow fashion. “I believe in the value of highly coveted items. I’ll watch the spring line, do my research, set a budget and let the love for each piece I want build before making a purchase. When you buy something, it has to resonate with you. I want you to buy something you’ll keep forever, or if you don’t like anymore, [something] you can sell on eBay. Whatever you buy has to come back to you.”
This approach to wardrobe styling is a welcome antidote to the consumer-driven acquisition of fast fashion and label mania. “When it comes to fashion, my number one rule is you don’t want the clothes to wear you. You wear your clothes. You can always tell the difference between a person who is trendy and a person who is stylish.” That distinction arises from being reflective of your wardrobe and what you possess.
After Merrick-Klinkbeil gets a sense of the personality and existing wardrobe of a client, she’ll create an Aura fluff and buff complete with a mood board based on her style recommendations. Although she’s conscious of trends, when it comes to colors, she’ll suggest three colors that complement the aura. Ditto for fashion icons people can emulate, brands that speak to their ethos and key pieces to incorporate into their wardrobe.
As her business expands, Merrick-Klinkbeil looks to introduce a host of personal services like Reiki and Feng Shui, as well as special events and workshops into the Aura Wear NYC experience. In the meantime, she’s focussed on helping nurture the individual energy that sets people apart from the crowd, and defines the fashion aura.
Find Aura Wear NYC on Instagram
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.