The exuberant revival of Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty’s tropical musical is a tonic for chilly times.
The dreaded polar vortex has descended on America’s Northeast; the days are getting shorter, the wind is biting, and the thought of getting away to the balmy Caribbean is more alluring than ever. For a quick theatrical getaway to a tropical island, head to the rousing revival of Once on This Island. You don’t even have to worry about security lines and airline cancellations (just subway delays).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Plenty of heart
Ahrens and Flaherty’s musical debuted in 1990 and made a star of leading lady LaChanze. The female protagonist in this new and wonderfully intimate production at Circle in the Square is played by 18-year-old Hailey Kilgore. Singing and dancing with plenty of heart, she’s a worthy successor to LaChanze.
Kilgore plays Ti Moune, who becomes orphaned following a big storm on her island in the French Antilles. An older couple (Kenita R. Miller and Merle Dandridge) takes her in and raises her. When a teenage boy, Daniel (Isaac Powell), is injured in a car crash, Ti Moune nurses him back to health. Not surprisingly, they fall in love. But Daniel is from an aristocratic French family and Ti Moune is a peasant, so his family won’t allow them to marry.
It’s a simple story, but Ahrens and Flaherty’s Caribbean rhythms and lilting melodies combine with Michael Arden’s imaginative direction of the energetic cast to create a magical production. Thanks to the in-the-round staging, a performer might sing just a few feet from you.
Arden, an actor-turned-director who also helmed the terrific Deaf West revival of Spring Awakening, has a number of theatrical tricks up his sleeve. Before the show even starts, he helps set the scene with food cooking on a grill and a live goat being led around the sandy stage by an actor. The production feels grounded in authentic Caribbean traditions. Arden and the creative team spent time in Haiti, and the trip obviously benefited the staging.
Ahrens and Flaherty are best known for the musical Ragtime. Their Caribbean-influenced songs for Once on This Island show their versatility. Kilgore brims with youthful excitement in her big song, Waiting for Life. Even more enjoyable are Pray and other jubilant ensemble numbers vibrantly choreographed by Camille A. Brown.
As well as Kilgore, leading man Powell is a talented young Broadway newcomer who can sing, dance, and act with gusto. In a supporting role as the goddess Erzulie, Lea Salonga does a beautiful rendition of The Human Heart. The original Miss Saigon star still has one of the loveliest voices on Broadway. While she seems to enjoy being a team player here, the show would have benefited from a few more solo moments for Salonga.
Beyond the tempests
In his well-written director’s note, Arden mentions the recent hurricanes, storms, and earthquakes that have hit the U.S. and the Caribbean. For him, Once on This Island shows how “the good we do can echo and reverberate long after our lives are over.”
This uplifting musical celebrates storytelling, caregiving, and the power of love. It’s a journey to an exotic island where most of the residents are poor but lead lives filled with joy and passion. The actors in Arden’s outstanding revival share those inspiring qualities, too.
Once on This Island is at Circle in the Square, 1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019. For tickets call Telecharge: (800) 447-7400.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.