Everyone loves a French girl, that iconic epitome of breezy elegance. Bastille Day, France’s Fête nationale, is July 14, and makes for a perfect excuse to live la vie Française—if only for a day. Slip on your best heels and get your sophisticated self to one of these splurge-y spots to raise a glass to everything chic.
At Augustine, the latest brasserie from Keith McNally, everything the restaurateur has become known for—atmosphere, vintage Parisian decor, flattering golden lighting—is executed even better than before. Get any of the richly flavorful steaks, or the burger, served with Comte and cooked onions plus a shot of bourbon on the side.
Augustine, 5 Beekman St., New York, NY USA +1 212 375 0010
Serving dinner nightly. We will be open for weekday lunch as of Tuesday, Nov 29, for weekend brunch as of Sunday, Dec 4th, and for weekday breakfast as of Tuesday, Jan 3rd, 2017.
A post shared by Augustine Restaurant (@augustinenewyork) on Nov 15, 2016 at 5:42pm PST
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Holding three Michelin stars and generally acknowledged to be one of NYC’s top restaurants, Le Bernardin is a veritable shrine to seafood. The cooking incorporates diverse international influences, but its globetrotting chef, Eric Ripert, couldn’t possibly be more French.
Le Bernardin, 155 W. 51st St., New York, NY USA +1 212 554 1515
Spring has sprung in the LB dining room!
A post shared by Le Bernardin (@lebernardinny) on Mar 17, 2017 at 1:42pm PDT
Daniel may get all the glory, but we prefer its sister restaurant, Cafe Boulud, also from chef Daniel Boulud. It’s less stuffy than Daniel and more timelessly chic, with fantastic food and a supremely elegant adjacent bar, Bar Pleiades, at which to grab an aperitif or a nightcap.
Cafe Boulud, 20 E. 76th St., New York, NY USA +1 212 772 2600
We’ve got your number. // Sidle on up to Bar Pleiades for a stiff drink to warm the spirits.
A post shared by Cafe Boulud & Bar Pleiades (@cafebouludny) on May 9, 2017 at 12:17pm PDT
Le Coq Rico
At Le Coq Rico, a paragon of all things poultry (even many of the cocktails incorporate egg whites) and a sister to a bistro by the same name in Paris, Alsatian chef Antoine Westermann uses nearly exclusively heritage birds, humanely raised. Pastry chef Matthieu Simon’s ile flottante dessert is not to be missed.
Le Coq Rico, 30 E. 20th St., New York, NY USA +1 212 267 7426
Elegant, creamy and simply sweet – our picturesque Ile Flottante is a must order. #LeCoqRico
A post shared by Le Coq Rico NYC (@lecoqriconyc) on Apr 7, 2017 at 9:02am PDT
Le Coucou represents a return to classic French dining in a room that’s elegant but not at all stuffy: taper candles and white tablecloths, but with a prevailing sense of whimsy. It’s perfect for a killer date or a special occasion, and don’t miss the quenelle de brochet in lobster sauce or the stunning three-dish “tout le lapin.”
Le Coucou, 138 Lafayette St., New York, NY USA +1 212 271 4252
Thank you to our hardworking staff and valued patrons for making this past year so incredible. It has truly been an honor to cook for you and we look forward to serving you for years to come! 🥂 #oneyearanniversary // 📷: @evemaj
A post shared by Le Coucou (@lecoucou_nyc) on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:23pm PDT
Dominique Ansel Bakery
It’s the birthplace of the cronut, yes, but Dominique Ansel Bakery has many other amazing pastries and other French treats on offer as well. Try the DKA—Ansel’s perfected version of a kouign amann, a buttery, layered Breton pastry that’s recently taken New York City by storm, or the Paris-NY, the bakery’s twist on the classic Paris-Brest, with a choux dough and a chocolate, caramel and peanut butter filling.
Dominique Ansel Bakery, 189 Spring St., New York, NY USA +1 212 219 2773
Bird’s eye view of July’s Mirabelle Plum & Brown Sugar Cronut® in #Soho. Just a few left to preorder for July at www.CronutPreorder.com. #DominiqueAnselBakery
A post shared by dominiqueansel (@dominiqueansel) on Jul 13, 2017 at 10:34am PDT
Alsatian chef Gabriel Kreuther reigned over the kitchen at The Modern for nearly a decade, earning it a Michelin star, before opening this eponymous restaurant—which instantly earned a star of its own. We love the tarts flambees available only in the more casual (but still lovely) bar room. After your meal, don’t forget to stop by its chocolate shop next door to pick up some delectable pastries, macarons, or chocolates.
Gabriel Kreuther, 41 W. 42nd St., New York, NY USA +1 212 257 5826
Escape #NYC and immerse yourself in a luxurious dining experience.
A post shared by Gabriel Kreuther (@gabrielkreuther) on Jul 10, 2017 at 6:24am PDT
La Grenouille, the remaining bastion of NYC’s midcentury haute cuisine boom, has been dazzling diners for more than a half-century with elegance and flowers—as well as classic French dishes like frogs’ legs and Dover sole.
La Grenouille, 3 E. 52nd St., New York, NY USA +1 212 752 1495
Favorite family tradition! When it’s ❄️ and most are 🙅, we bundle up and 💃🏻!
A post shared by christinatosi (@christinatosi) on Mar 15, 2017 at 8:15am PDT
Channeling a grand Parisian café, Lafayette is a perfect choice for breakfast or brunch, when sunlight floods the spacious room through its enormous windows. It’s an ideal spot to linger over a croque madame and a latte, then grab an eclair at the bakery up front to keep the French vibes going.
Lafayette, 380 Lafayette St., New York, NY USA +1 212 533 3000
Brunch means Lemon Pancakes and Smoked Salmon Benedict #oui #lafayette380
A post shared by Lafayette (@lafayette380) on Jul 2, 2017 at 8:11am PDT
Equal parts wine bar and restaurant, Rebelle has excellent (and Michelin-starred) food, courtesy of a chef that worked in Paris under Daniel Rose (see Le Coucou, above). If you’re into grower Champagnes, you’ll agree its wine list is among the best in town—and what better beverage with which to toast Bastille Day?
Rebelle, 218 Bowery, New York, NY USA +1 917 639 3880
We will be open tonight for dinner ❄️
A post shared by Rebelle Restaurant (@rebellenyc) on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:33am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.