Touchdown in comfort and get a solid night’s sleep before you jet off again from New York’s busiest airport – great hotels nearby are bookable on Culture Trip.
If you travel long enough, you’re sure to taxi into John F Kennedy International Airport. This huge hub serves New York City and the world, connecting you to your wanderlust dreams. Landing in NYC? Step off the tarmac and into the largest of its five boroughs, Queens. No matter if you’re spending a week in the concrete jungle or are simply on a Long Island layover, these hotels near JFK Airport will keep you clear for take-off.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
TWA Hotel at JFK takes the intimidation out of a trip to the Big Apple. Your head will land on a pillow right next to the airport, allowing you to wake up and hit the main terminals in a quick AirTran ride. The rooftop infinity pool overlooks the runways, so you can milk every second of time before your flight arrives. Hoping to hop to Manhattan on your long layover? Ask for a 6pm check out and have more than a New York minute to explore NYC luggage-free.
Slip into an empire state of mind at Boro Hotel. While you wait for dry cleaning to send your best suit, say cheers to the Manhattan views from your balcony. How better to start the night than with a whisky neat in the lounge before heading out into the streets? No matter which side of the river you’re partying on, Boro will welcome you home with old-school New York pies at Beebe’s.
Write your own page in Long Island history at the Collective – 125 rooms are bound in the halls of a former paper factory, all sketched with reclaimed furniture and eye-catching canvas art. Co-working spaces, a 24-hour gym and a game room fill the communal blank spaces. Turn the page on every new day under a rainfall shower before stepping out to discover how the script makes it to the screen at the Museum of the Moving Image.
As vibrant and colorful as Brooklyn itself, you can’t miss the giant elephants painted across the Artel Hotel. The rainbow of colors along the exterior bleed inside, filling the interior with a unique exhibition experience – craft beers and creative cocktails will inspire you if the walls don’t. Bunk with your buddies or chill on the balcony of your queen room; either way, your artsy group will find galleries and art centers right on the block.
When they said “no sleep ‘til Brooklyn”, they surely meant no sleep until you hit the queen sheets of Hotel RL. Set an early alarm so you don’t miss a beat of New York’s creative capital, perking up with an ethically sourced latte at the on-site cafe before painting the town whichever color you please. Nights can be spent bar-hopping or stumbling around the art scene; just make sure you come back to the hotel for a thought-provoking performance at the Living Stage.
Keep it casual before your early morning flight at Five Towns Inn. This hotel is across the bay from JFK and their shuttle service will get you to your terminal without fail. There are computer stations in the lobby, if you absolutely need to get a little pre-flight work done – and it’s not a bad idea to note that the Inwood Country Club is close, too (because even conference calls are best completed on the links).
Save a bite of the Big Apple for later and eat out in Chinatown when you stay at the Asiatic Hotel. A standard room is all you’ll need, though if you’d like a refrigerator and microwave, we’d suggest getting the extra square footage of the Junior Suite. A complimentary breakfast awaits at sunrise, but no one will take offense if you save your appetite for the noodle boxes, rice bowls and hot pots right outside the hotel.
If Let’s Go Mets is your holiday refrain, Elmhurst will knock it out of the park. A close subway ride from Citi Field, this hotel’s seat beside 82nd Street Station keeps you connected to the best of NYC. Hang around your double room with your buddies before the game, catching the latest updates on your HDTV. When it’s time to head off, grab some fast food on the block and hop on the subway.
This is an updated rewrite of an article originally written by Molly Codyre.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.