In SoHo, real estate is split between high fashion boutiques and chain drug stores. But for those who work in the neighborhood (or need to recharge with food after a long morning of shopping), it can seem like every street resembles Broadway: lined with shops, crowds of tourists toting boxy shopping bags, and Instagram boyfriends snapping photos of their significant others amid the cobblestone streets. Nonetheless, there are plenty of great lunch spots in SoHo featuring something for every price point.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Feel slightly healthy at Smile To Go
The casual counterpart of NoHo’s popular The Smile, this downtown destination serves the same healthy, Mediterranean-inspired fare at more wallet-friendly prices. An open fridge houses a host of sandwiches (think manouri cheese, pear, and truffle oil hugged by crusty sourdough) and salads (kale salad flecked with roasted cauliflower; roasted tri-colored carrots), but you’d be remiss not to grab a salted chocolate chip cookie on your way out.
Split a sandwich with a friend at Alidoro
Alidoro has been slinging gargantuan Italian sandwiches in SoHo since 1986. Here, sandwiches sport prosciutto, soppressata, fresh mozzarella, and slick roasted peppers on crusty bread. They’re plenty large enough to halve and split with a friend, or save for dinner. Prices start out at $9, with the most-packed sandwiches ringing in at no more than $13.
Discover the sandwich counter at M&O Market & Deli
For a place taking up coveted SoHo real estate, M&O doesn’t look like much—it most resembles your neighborhood bodega, lined with aisles of snacks and soda. But if you post up at the sandwich counter, you’ll be treated to cheap sandwiches: BLTs, lightly breaded chicken parm, and blackened pastrami.
Sample Asian fare at Canal Street Market
Chinatown food, SoHo style is what’s on the menu at Canal Street Market. The self-described “new kind of street market” offers the boba, Asian barbecue takeaway, and hand rolls you know and love in a fashion-forward setting you haven’t experienced before.
Save money with the lunch special at Pepe Rosso To Go
Everything is under $15 at Pepe Rosso to Go, a squat storefront dolling out paninis, salads, and pastas for a mostly take-out crowd. The move, though, is the lunch special: for $9.95, you’ll get a soup or salad, then a choice of panini or pasta (think grilled eggplant, tomato, and goat cheese squeezed between crisp bread, or penne tossed with basil, tomato, and mozzarella).
Trust the classics at Olive’s
Squeezed on the corner of Prince Street and Sullivan Street, Olive’s caters to those unwilling to wait on Chopt’s long lines. Half sandwich soup/salad combos are available, as well as a host of pre-made salads which can be grabbed from the fridge. There are daily specials too, which in the past has included chilled cucumber soup and an avocado and cheddar sandwich brimming with sprouts.
Blend in with the locals at Soup Kiosk
You can’t miss the tiny shack attached to Fanelli Cafe—during lunch hours, a fast-moving line crawls south on Prince Street, dotted with construction workers and dapper suits. The menu may be small, punctuated only by soups, chilis, and hunks of baguette, but that’s a good thing. Choose from classics like tomato soup and beef chili spooned over rice, or opt for the local favorite: Moroccan lamb stew.
Pop in for pasta or sandwiches at Coco Pazzo Kitchen
After shuttering over ten years ago, the Tuscan-inspired Coco Pazzo reopened with a dual concept: a fast-casual spot during the day and a fancier one at night. Attached to the restaurant with a separate entrance is a lunch counter focusing on quick-service dishes: sandwiches, salads, soups, and pastas. The ceci e quinoa salad is a house speciality: quinoa tossed with chickpeas, roasted tomatoes, almonds, preserved lemons, and thyme.
Dip pita in colorful spreads at Shuka
Mediterranean fare is king at Shuka, where brightly colored dips and mezze are practically on every table. Order a couple of small plates to share, or if you’re not the splitting type, feast on the lamb burger towering with goat cheese, or the shakshuka, where poached eggs swim in spiced tomato sauce.
Bite into soup dumplings at Pinch Chinese
Jiggly soup dumplings are the move at Pinch Chinese; the kitchen makes a variety (chicken, pork, seafood) and they arrive to the table hot and bursting with soup. Pinch is often difficult to get into for dinner, but the lunch crowd is pretty sparse, so you’ll have a much better chance of getting in.
Slurp udon noodles at Raku
The beloved East Village udon restaurant now boasts a second, bigger location in SoHo. The long ribbons of udon are house-made, swirled into hot and cold soups steeped with ingredients like mountain vegetables and spicy miso pork.
Watch chefs roll delicate sushi at Blue Ribbon Sushi
Sushi knows no bounds at Blue Ribbon Sushi, where delicate, absurdly fresh fish is delicately wrapped in rice. It’s easy to rack up a steep bill here, especially when rolls can arrive topped with lobster and caviar, but that’s OK; this is a special occasion kind of lunch, anyway.
Power lunch over French food at Le Coucou
If you’ve come into a large sum of money recently (first of all, congrats), there’s no better place to splurge than lunch at Le Coucou. The menu is a two-course prix fixe, featuring chicken flush with foie gras and roasted fruit, as well as fried veal head drizzled with warm sauce ravigote.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.