The New York City running organization brings a free youth program – and the mental and physical health benefits of running – to 1,000 kids throughout Puerto Rico who are still reeling from the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.
Beverly Ramos felt helpless, a prisoner of her own home. Ramos and thousands of other Puerto Rico residents were forced indoors – most without power or running water – as they anxiously waited for the destruction outside to cease.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“That was the worst feeling. You just wanted it to be over quickly,” says Ramos, the most decorated track-and-field athlete in Puerto Rican history and a two-time Olympian. “It wasn’t an earthquake, it was a really long storm, and it lasted 12 hours.”
On September 20, 2017, Hurricane Maria, a Category 4 hurricane, became the strongest storm to make landfall in Puerto Rico in 85 years. Its whipping rains and battering winds – as high as 155 mph (249 kph) – wreaked havoc on the island, resulting in nearly 3,000 fatalities.
A year and a half later, Puerto Rico continues to slowly rebuild in the wake of Hurricane Maria and Hurricane Irma, which hit the commonwealth with a glancing blow weeks before Maria’s direct devastation. Many schools and hospitals took months to reopen. Roads remain fractured. Blue tarps still serve as makeshift roofs on homes. Ramos’s house in Trujillo Alto regained power just before Christmas 2017, while many of her friends went even longer without electricity. Supplies including clean water, gasoline and even things as simple as dog food were scarce.
Today, Ramos is trying to bring back a sense of balance and routine to the people of Puerto Rico through a partnership with the New York Road Runners. The NYC-based running organization that manages the city’s races, including the world-famous NYC Marathon, is bringing its free Rising New York Road Runners youth program to kids in Puerto Rico. The program is designed to motivate children to get running and stay healthy and active for life.
Launching on February 13, 2019, the program will benefit approximately 1,000 children throughout nine locations: Residencial Las Margaritas, San Juan; Residencial Luis Llorens Torres, San Juan; Bayamón, Mayagüez, Carolina, Arecibo, Aguas Buenas, Loíza and Isabela.
“We hope that the Rising New York Road Runners program can bring [kids] this sense of normalcy and they can have some fun, laugh and get fit,” says Rachel Pratt, NYRR senior VP of Youth and Community Service. “I want them to be physically fit and have healthy lives, but I also want them to know what they learn through running can translate to any part of their lives.”
In the months following Hurricane Maria, schools in Puerto Rico lost approximately 27,000 students, according to the Department of Education. More than 250 schools closed as a result of the storm, so other schools saw an overflow of students searching for classrooms. Ahead of the 2018-19 school year, approximately 200 FEMA-funded trailers, known as relocatable classrooms, were installed throughout the island.
Working with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Puerto Rico, the NYRR trained staffers on the ground to oversee programming. Unlike many lap-based running programs, Rising New York Road Runners teaches students pacing, proper posture and attitude, the importance of their arms while running, stretching and cool-down techniques via a variety of drills and games including animal tag, obstacle medley and beanbag relay.
The program will also provide free New Balance running shoes to many children via its 1 for You 1 for Youth initiative. NYRR has had youth programs in New York City public schools for 20 years; its Rising New York Road Runners program began three years ago.
“When natural disasters occur, for some reason people forget about the emotional health of everyone,” says Ramos, a mentor and coach to youth athletes in Puerto Rico who will serve as Rising New York Road Runners’ ambassador and special adviser to Puerto Rico. “This kind of program is a perfect fit.”
Ramos certainly knows the importance of running and what it does for one’s mental and physical health. The Trujillo Alto resident was training for the 2017 NYC Marathon when Hurricane Maria hit. Once she was able to leave her house, she took to the streets – where cars were seldom seen because gas was prioritized for first responders – to continue her training. Passing by the devastation was emotional for her, but seeing and hearing the support of fellow Puerto Ricans as she glided by fueled her motivation.
“I think running kept me in a healthy mindset during that time, and it was the best decision I made,” she says.
Ramos was offered refuge after the storm hit, but she opted to stay in Puerto Rico to continue her training and help her family and friends. Nearly two years later Ramos, along with NYRR, continues to offer aid to the people affected by Hurricane Maria, even if it provides the children with only a momentary respite from their disrupted day-to-day lives.
“Maybe they forget for a little bit that mom and dad aren’t doing so well economically or their home isn’t the way it used to be,” she says. “That’s the main thing – trying to bring something fresh for them so it might be the best hour of their day or week or month. It will be a very positive impact on many homes and families in Puerto Rico.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.