We all know we should be exercising regularly, but post-work it’s often booze that beckons most insistently. The solution? We made a list of the top barre studios in various NYC neighborhoods and paired them with a nearby bar (under 10 minutes walk), so you can have the best of both worlds.
Williamsburg: SHAKTIBARRE & The Commodore
The latest studio to join Williamsburg’s ever-expanding fitness scene is SHAKTIBARRE — a lady-centric space complete with health food cafe. At the front a large communal table hosts family-style dinners for the growing community. Further back there’s a workspace and a light, airy studio where SHAKTIBARRE’s signature workout takes place.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Classes are a barre-yoga hybrid that’s just the right amount of tough. You “pulse” ballet-style until your muscles shake, then counter the burn with asana stretches.
Here, the teachers do a great job of building camaraderie in the room (high-fives abound) and the vibe is empowering rather than competitive. There’s even a little pot of body glitter among the bathroom sundries if you want to sparkle while you sweat.
SHAKTIBARRE, 449 Keap St, Brooklyn, NY, USA, 11211 +1 617 930 0098
A seven minute walk away you’ll find The Commodore, a retro dive bar that serves southern fare and the kind of icy blender drinks you’d normally associate with vacations. Pick a tune for the jukebox and order a piña colada or NoLa-strength hurricane.
The Commodore, 366 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn, NY, USA, 11211 + 1 718 218 7632
Brooklyn Heights: Xtend Barre & Long Island Bar
Situated in the heart of brownstone Brooklyn, Xtend Barre offers classes inspired by Pilates and dance in three spacious, bright studios. The sequencing is very balletic, but don’t let the graceful studio regulars fool you — this workout is a real burner.
If you like a little more cardio with your barre, try the Circuit 7 class — a HIIT workout incorporating seven circuits performed for seven minutes each, that will push you to the point of breathlessness (i.e. where the magic happens).
There’s a genuinely welcoming atmosphere at Xtend Barre, from the way you’re greeted at the door to personalized encouragements from the teacher, right when you need it most. Also, you might want to take advantage of the foam rollers, because you’re gonna feel this workout tomorrow morning.
Xtend Barre, 147 Remsen St, Brooklyn, NY, USA 11201 +1 718 522 2580
Long Island Bar is a convenient eight minute stroll away, on Atlantic Avenue. It’s been serving drinks to locals for 55 years, and still maintains a decidedly old-school feel, with dark, polished wood and art deco-inspired details. Pull up a stool and become buddies with the bartenders.
Long Island Bar, 110 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn, NY, USA, 11201 +1 718 625 8908
East Village: FlyBarre & Mayahuel
FlyWheel, one of the city’s most successful spin chains, also offers barre — the perfect toning accompaniment to the intensive cardio of studio cycling.
FlyBarre is a full-body workout that aims to sculpt lean, super strong muscles. There are several different class formats, but if you’re looking for something quick and effective then Power 45, with its plank variations and jump squats, will have you dripping sweat after just 10 minutes.
The teachers here really know their stuff, so expect lots of helpful alignment cues. Plus, it’s hard to slack off when you’re being cheered on by name.
After burning all those calories you earned yourself some a martini. Grab a stool by the mahogany bar at Flatiron Lounge, like Frank Sinatra used to. Jazz-age music and Art Deco design details set the scene.
Flatiron Lounge, 37 West 19th Street, New York, USA, 10011 +1 212 727 7741
Upper West Side: Pure Barre & Jacobs Pickles
Pure Barre is a New York fitness success story. There’s a studio in every neighborhood — perhaps testament to the chain’s claim that it’s “the fastest, most effective way to change your body.”
As the name suggests, the method really is barre in its purest form — a low impact workout that focuses on toning the hips, thighs, seat, abdominals and arms (i.e. the areas women care most about) using small, repetitive movements that exhaust the muscles. Exertion is followed by all important stretching, which supposedly keeps muscles long and prevents bulking.
Pure Barre, 412 Columbus Ave, New York, NY, USA, 10024 +1 917 965 2175
Jacobs Pickles is the most exciting new opening on the residential Upper West Side in a long time. The joint specializes in Southern-style comfort food; think beer, buttery biscuits and pickles. Artisanal pickles to be precise.
Jacobs Pickles, 509 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY, USA, 10024 +1 212 470 5566
NoHo: Flex Studios & Bar Primi
This NoHo based studio is the second location from Flex, which prides itself on making clients work hard.
There are three classes to pick from: Reformer Pilates (that’s the one with the machine), TRX suspension training and, of course, barre.
Expect a fast-paced, high-energy workout that feels a little bit like a barre bootcamp. Classes are small and intimate, so that you get personalized direction on proper form, producing the greatest burn for your buck.
Flex Studios, 3rd Floor, 650 Broadway, New York, NY, USA, 10012 + 1 212 432 3539
There’s no shortage of good bars in this part of the city, but there’s only one that serves frosé (frozen rosé), and that’s Bar Primi. There’s also an extensive menu of silken pasta dishes to help you refuel after your workout.
Bar Primi, 325 Bowery, New York, NY, USA, 10003 +1 212 220 9100
Financial District: Physique 57 & The Malt House
Visible results after just eight classes. That’s the promise from Physique 57 — an international barre studio that’s renowned for offering some of the most lauded sequencing in New York City.
Trainers are cherry-picked for their extensive experience and ability to motivate you at the end of a side plank hold, when sweat is dripping and your core is shaking.
Happily, classes encompass varying levels of difficulty, so you can build your fitness level incrementally without getting discouraged.
Physique 57, 55 Broadway #1602, New York, NY, USA, 10006 +1 212 747 0570
A mere six minute walk downtown is The Malt House, a large American-style tavern with a list of craft beer the length of a short story. Food-wise expect the usual pub grub with a high-end spin: wagyu beef burgers, truffled fries and hickory wood-smoked chicken wings.
The Malt House, 9 Maiden Ln, New York, NY, USA, 10038 +1 646 682 7577
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.