American Honey is an independent road movie about a scrappy, caring dreadlocked hoyden coaxed by a cocky youth to leave her urban trash-heap and join him in a crew of teenage magazine-subscription hawkers traveling cross-country in a bus.
British writer-director Andrea Arnold’s fourth feature is long, rambling, and unvarnished. It’s also one of the best films of 2016 – a lyrical tour de force dripping with compassion for those millennials society has already discarded. Yet it’s devoid of sanctimony.
The 163-minute odyssey takes the unformed heroine Star (Sasha Lane, a non-professional when Arnold discovered her) into manicured middle-class neighborhoods, a stagnant Western ghetto of starving children, and the realm of feverish sex with the emotionally unavailable Jake (Shia LaBeouf). It goes nowhere more important than into Star’s nerve-center. What has this fiery waif got when love fails her, as it clearly did when she was a child? Will she sink, swim, or reach out to rescue another being?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Of all the themes American Honey explores – class inequity, poverty, female rivalry, the sex war, the preciousness of creatures – none is more pressing than the issue binding it to Arnold’s Oscar-winning 2003 short Wasp, her 2006 feature debut Red Road, 2009’s Fish Tank, and her 2011 Wuthering Heights adaptation: namely, female sexual vulnerability.
Given their poetic cadences and hints of morbidness, all of Arnold’s films are ballads of sexual (self-) endangerment. Though Arnold provides no backstory for Star, the willingness with which she isolates herself with older men who seem primed to rape her indicates a history of abuse. Her stepfather is shown casually molesting her early her on; he calls to mind the Michael Fassbender character in Fish Tank.
Three of Star’s encounters with men ratchet up the tension. They are narrative contrivances yet consistent with her naivety – or her unconscious wish to be violated. The danger recalls the predicaments of Natalie Press’s careless young mother in Wasp, Kate Dickie’s grieving sex vigilante in Red Road, and Katie Jarvis’s aspiring adolescent dancer in Fish Tank (Jarvis being another Arnold discovery). Ravaged by sexual jealousy, Cathy (Kaya Scodelario) in Wuthering Heights succumbs to a psychosomatic equivalent of the illness that felled Emily Brontë and her siblings. Perhaps sex with Heathcliff would have been a worse fate?
What happens to Star finally can’t be disclosed here, suffice to say that her inner ministering angel governs the film’s morality. It doesn’t mitigate Arnold’s repeated exposure of her heroines to potential sexual violence that she struggles to protect them from – sometimes successfully, sometimes not. She is not a political feminist like the French filmmaker Catherine Breillat, but all our daughters’ frightened and vigilant mother. She allays the heaviness of that burden with the beauty of her images and the jagged musicality of her movies’ flow.
American Honey is on release in the US.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.