New York City is the place that Carrie Bradshaw personified for nearly a decade, the city that never sleeps and where dreams are made, and don’t forget – it’s been waiting for you (shout out to Jay-Z and Taylor Swift). People flood to New York for a life full of thrills, opportunity, and excitement, and yes, the city is all that and more. However, until you’re actually a New Yorker, you will not know the ups and downs that each New Yorker goes through on a daily basis. Here are five struggles every new resident of New York faces.
Think that perfect West Village apartment is just prime for the picking? Think again. Those stock images on Street Easy use a special lens to make the room look bright, airy, and spacious. So while that space on Christopher Street overlooking candy store sensation Sockerbit looks roomy, it is, in fact, a small studio with a kitchen/bathroom combination. Think that lens is deceiving? Well, don’t be surprised when the “no fee” apartment may actually have a fee. Brokers are a staple of New York City apartment hunting – just embrace them. Oh, and do you enjoy sunlight? Sorry, the windows only face a brick wall of another apartment building in that 6th-floor walk-up.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Riding the subway is a rite of passage in NYC. However, make sure you have your subway card out and ready to swipe so that you won’t get yelled at by the hoards of commuters pushing to get on the platform. Also, you’ll have to perfect the swiping of the card – otherwise, think of Hillary Clinton struggling to swipe her subway card on her famous subway ride in 2016. (Awkward.) And your boss will probably have to get used to you getting in a little late every day: Sorry Mr. Boss Man or Lady, I was late because some guy wouldn’t get his foot out of the train door, hence, delaying its departure and my arrival to work on time.
Buying groceries and cooking your own meals at a reasonable price is a totally normal way to conduct your life. Many people come to New York City with a love of Trader Joe’s snacks and easy meals, but what they may be unaware of is what a trip to Trader Joe’s will cost them in time. The lines will be out the door and around the corner. Then once you are actually in the store, don’t bother walking around to shop: save time by shopping while in line. Remember you should only buy a few items at a time as you’ll be hauling them back with you up to that 6th-floor walk-up. Seamless created the perfect solution for the food shopping struggle in NYC.
Not a big coffee drinker before coming to NYC? Well, you will be now! Coffee is a way of life in NYC, and no one is truly awake until they’ve had their caffeine hit. As a result, there is a constant struggle between your need for your morning lattes and your understanding that said latte is a tad overpriced. However, don’t let a little inflation stop you from getting your morning cup of joe.
Payday is basically Christmas every two weeks. You think you’re rich for approximately one day until your Con Ed, rent check, and Time Warner bills are taken out of your checking account, and you’re back to being poor (those daily lattes are not helping the cause either). Just get used to living by the mantra, “pay check to pay check,” and hoping that the 401K plan you have at your job will accrue money one of these days.
Despite these day-to-day struggles every new resident of New York will inevitably face, New York City will always continue to prove why they are worthwhile.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.