The New Mexico town of Taos sits on a site that has been inhabited for more than 1000 years. These days, Taos is a cultural hub, following the establishment of the Taos Arts Colony in 1915. With a string of excellent galleries and culturally significant areas, visitors will enjoy experiencing the great variety of restaurants and cafés on offer. We discover ten great places in Taos to dine out.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Love Apple
Restaurant, American, Vegetarian, Vegan, $$
Specializing in local home-cooked cuisine, The Love Apple is run on the old site, indeed, in the former building, of the Placitas Chapel. This small building was previously a Catholic church, built in circa 1800. These days, talented chefs can be found turning out brilliant dishes. Local Medjool dates are brined in classic American bourbon, before being wrapped in bacon and fried, resulting in a delicious starter. For the main course, choose from a variety of game dishes and a fantastic lamb-sausage bolognaise served with polenta and fresh greens, all in the beautiful confines of this small chapel.
Bar, Restaurant, American, $$
Lambert’s restaurant and bar, one of Taos New Mexico’s best-kept secrets, promises guests a relaxed yet refined dining experience. With its low-level lighting, soft, yet simple, decoration and carefully designed menu, it certainly delivers. In one form or another, Lambert’s has existed in Taos since 1989 though it currently resides in the beautiful building at 123 Bent Street, which was built in 1903. While starters include such delights as lamb wellington and wild mushroom risotto, mains include roasted Vermont quail, beef stroganoff and pepper-crusted lamb loin.
Bakery, Restaurant, American, Vegetarian, Vegan, $
If fun and laid back is the vibe you are looking for, then Michael’s Kitchen is the place for you. Not just a restaurant, Michael’s kitchen is also a very popular bakery, dealing with cakes and treats that everyone can enjoy. These are made fresh, every day and are perfect to either eat in or take away. Bakery treats include bear claws, cookies, brownies and a variety of pies, including blueberry, apple, and raspberry flavours. As well as serving lunch and dinner, Michael’s kitchen is best known for its fantastic breakfast offerings. Diners can set themselves up for the day with any number of omelettes, French toasts and even that New Mexican staple, huevos rancheros.
Restaurant, French, $
Now, while many restaurants in Taos stick to their solely Hispanic and Latin roots, Gutiz is a brilliant example of combined French and Latin foods. Open for breakfast and lunch, the Gutiz team prepare some of the best food that can be found in this small New Mexico town. Lunch and breakfast options are plentiful with sandwiches, tapas and small plates available throughout most of the day. Gutiz strives to use locally sourced ingredients, with most of their menu made from scratch. Pastries, desserts and chocolate truffles are also made in house to satisfy even the sweetest tooth.
Restaurant, American, $$
Doc Martin’s in Taos is a celebrated award-winning restaurant run by chef Gregory Romo. As well as being famous for the excellent dining opportunity it affords its guests, Doc Martin’s is known for its fantastic wine collection. Food and Beverage Director, Adam Kerr is a certified Sommelier and takes much pride in choosing the finest wines for the list and by the glass. With 400 varieties stored in the restaurant’s cellars, it is perhaps unsurprising that Doc Martin’s has won Wine Spectator’s ‘Best Of’ award for the past 29 years. Doc Martin’s also provides excellent accommodation for guests, setting them in a sophisticated yet cosy environment that is perfect for relaxation
Cafe, Coffee Shop, Coffee
Open seven days a week, and winner of the 2013 Taos peoples’ choice award, Elevation Coffee serves specialty and premium coffees. Highly trained baristas use their skills to create exquisite lattes, mochas and cappuccinos, as well as other less technical drinks. As well as a great coffee shop, Elevation Coffee also features a selection of art works that guests can appreciate while taking in a little pick me up. Similarly, the venue also celebrates the creative side of coffee making, with incredible patterns and shapes being etched into the coffee froth of each cup, seeing is believing, so make sure you pay them a visit.
Orlando’s New Mexican Café
Described as a colorful Mexican eatery, Orlando’s New Mexican Café serves fresh margaritas, craft beers, and authentic Mexican food. Orlando’s is especially famous for its deep filled fish tacos, with deep fried cod and green chilli mayo, wrapped in flour tortillas and topped with cheese. However, there are also a great many meat and vegetarian choices for those who like something a bit less fishy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.