Las Cruces is, as might be expected, an oasis of delicious Mexican food, but the city isn’t short of other culinary delights. Cuisines from all over the world can be found in the city, including Greek, Lebanese, and Asian offerings. Las Cruces even delivers quality seafood and sushi in the middle of the desert, as well as some of the best frozen custard in the States.
Savoy De Mesilla
One of Las Cruces’ finest restaurants, it’s not only the food that excels at the Savoy de Mesilla, the outdoors patio provides a lovely scenic setting for a meal on a sunny day. The menu features traditional American dishes as well as some more unusual options, such as alligator tail and Kobe beef sliders. The liquid nitrogen ice cream for two is an exciting way to finish off a meal. Their weekend breakfast is the one of the best in the city, and is served between 8am and 1pm, meaning it’s perfect for both a business breakfast and a long brunch with friends.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Habanero’s Fresh Mex
Habanero’s Fresh Mex has been a favourite with Las Cruces locals for some years now, and regulars always comment that its staff are some of the friendliest and most welcoming in Las Cruces. Its reasonable pricing means it is regularly frequented by students, and it’s rare to find a time when this little hole in the wall is empty of hungry diners enjoying some quality Mexican food. The Macho Chimichanga, filled with chicken and beef, is not for the faint hearted, and when paired with Habanero’s guacamole it’s hard to imagine a better combination.
Habanero’s Fresh Mex, 1275 S Solano Dr, Las Cruces, NM, USA, +1 575-524-1829
Luna Rossa Winery & Pizzeria
In 2001 Paolo and Sylvia D’Andrea founded the Luna Rossa Winery, inspired by the skills Paolo learnt growing up in Friuli, Italy. Their wines are made of grapes from New Mexico, grown in their own vineyards, and have been awarded several international accolades, including a Double Gold at The Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. They host wine tastings and wine festivals, as well as running the Luna Rossa Pizzeria in Las Cruces which serves pizza, pasta, paninis and salads, as well as a tasty selection of 22 flavours of gelato, made in-house. Unsurprisingly, the wine list is excellent.
Caliche’s Frozen Custard
Some have described Caliche’s Frozen Custard as a local institution, and it’s not hard to see why. The choice at Caliche’s is second to none, and their range of sundae choices includes kiwi berry, mango-dango, and hot fudge, as well as banana split and strawberry shortcake options and seasonal specials, which are updated regularly. These can also be served in a homemade waffle bowl when you’re looking to really indulge your sweet tooth. But beware, a small cup is the equivalent of two whole scoops of frozen custard, so order carefully!
Caliche’s Frozen Custard, 590 S Valley Dr, Las Cruces, NM, USA, +1 575 647 5066
Katana Teppanyaki Grill
Sushi restaurants are few and far between in the desert, so the Katana Teppanyaki Grill is a real find, offering a wide array of fresh sushi. But while the sushi is enjoyable, the real reason to go to this restaurant is for the visual spectacle. The food is cooked in front of you, meaning it is particularly popular with children and families, as the chefs are always friendly and put on a good show as well as serving up delicious food. We recommend making a reservation if there are more than two of you, especially for dinner, as this restaurant isn’t huge.
International Delights Café
The middle of New Mexico might seem like the last place to find good European, Asian and African cuisine but the International Delights Café serves up excellent food from all over the world. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, this restaurant imports ingredients from a number of different countries, giving its dishes an authenticity lacking in many multi-cuisine restaurants. Between mezze plates with hummus and tabouli, gyro (a Greek meat sandwich), and a variety of kebabs, the International Delights Café provides a plethora of exciting dining opportunities, and its espresso bar serves such good coffee it could rival some Italian cafés.
International Delights, 1245 El Paseo Rd, Las Cruces, NM, USA, +1 575 647 5956
Santorini is an unassuming little restaurant with a big menu, overflowing with quality Lebanese and Greek dishes made from traditional recipes by their very experienced chef. It’s one of the best places for vegetarians to eat in Las Cruces, and staff will go out of their way to accommodate customers’ special requests. The falafel is second-to-none, and always a popular choice with customers, but we recommend ordering a few of their tasting platters to share so you can try a little bit of everything.
Santorini, 1001 E University Ave, Las Cruces, NM, USA, +1 575 521 9270
Unsurprisingly, there’s no shortage of excellent Mexican food in Las Cruces, so it’s only natural that a few Mexican restaurants feature on our list of the top restaurants in the city. Nellie’s Cafe is certainly up there with the best of them. A lively restaurant with a buzzy atmosphere, get there early to avoid queues at lunchtime as word of Nellie’s good prices and great food travelled fast and the restaurant is always packed.
Nellie’s Cafe, 1226 W Hadley Ave, Las Cruces, NM, USA, +1 575 524 9982
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.