Once you leave behind the busy freeways, you may be surprised to discover New Jersey’s farmland, forests, hills, and nature reserves. Whether you are visiting for work – the state is a big corporate and tech hub – to tour the university where Einstein used to teach – that’s Princeton – or to explore miles of wide, sandy beaches – hello, surfers – on the famous Jersey Shore, we’ve got you covered with these nice places to stay in New Jersey. Plus, catching a train to New York City, USA is as easy as – a big apple – pie.
The short drive to the famous boardwalk is half the reason this Atlantic City resort is often considered the most exclusive in town. The 43-story hotel features 800 modern rooms and suites, each with floor-to-ceiling windows and luxury amenities. There’s also a huge two-story spa and fitness center on the 32nd floor, plus five adults-only heated pools — both indoor and outdoor. Meanwhile, high-end shopping and dining are available here and next door at family-friendly Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa. Just cut through the lobby – where you’ll find Borgata’s enormous casino and a range of dining options including Izakaya, Italian, and New American, along with nightlife and entertainment.
The best perk of this highrise hotel in Frank Sinatra’s hometown? Direct views of Manhattan’s iconic skyline across the Hudson River. Choose between several renovated room types with floor-to-ceiling windows – ask for a river view – signature beds and well-stocked minibars. You’ll have access to a fitness center, a cocktail lounge called Living Room, and the restaurant, Halifax – featuring farm and coastal cuisine, with an emphasis on local and sustainable ingredients. Try the house-smoked meats and oysters on the half shell. Downtown Hoboken is a charming walkable city with lots of restaurants – while the Big Apple is just a quick train ride away.
This simple, affordable, and friendly hotel – with local owners – is an easy drive to Long Beach Island known to locals as LBI, where some of the best beaches, boardwalks, and fishing spots are found. Renovated rooms have contemporary furnishings and come with mini-fridges, microwaves, and coffeemakers – free wifi is available in common areas only. During warmer months, you’ll have access to an outdoor pool that has a sundeck, loungers, and umbrellas. There are also hiking trails at nearby Double Trouble State Park.
Prefer walking distance to the beach? This new hotel in Long Beach Island, one of the best places to stay in New Jersey, welcomes visitors with its fresh coastal decor. 102 well-appointed rooms have wood floors and kitchenettes equipped with a microwave, dishwasher, cooktop, full-size fridge, dishes/flatware, and a Keurig coffee maker. Some rooms are ideal for big families like the Family Bunk suite – with an extra room that can sleep four little ones. Stay on-site and dine at Salt Kitchen and Bar with seafood, salads, steaks, and pizzas. Try the tuna tartare with sourdough toast, or a pizza with vegan mozzarella – there are plenty more non-vegan options – along with a seasonal rooftop bar for sunset cocktails. Other amenities include a luxury indoor pool area with a retractable roof, a fitness room, and free use of bicycles and beach gear.
This modern boutique hotel – ages 10 and up – is another option on LBI, just a short walk to the beach with a cool vintage surf motif for added inspiration. 22 rooms and suites have mini-fridges and Frette linens, with bright colors and individual decor. Staff can provide complimentary beach badges, beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels, as well as vintage bike cruisers to explore the island. After a day on the sand, head up to the rooftop deck for cocktails and sushi – or choose the secluded garden patio and rum bar with snacks and happy hour specials. An American restaurant serves great food, where you’ll get to pick between lighter items like the mussel pot and kale Caesar or heartier options like the short rib stroganoff.
This surf-themed boutique hotel is located in Long Branch, one of the more upscale areas of the Jersey Shore that is famous for its upscale restaurants and nightlife. Spacious rooms come with fireplaces, fully equipped kitchenettes, and Tivoli Bluetooth speakers – while bigger suites might come with soaking tubs, dining areas, and ocean-facing balconies. Sip cocktails at Bungalounge, which serves cocktails Thursday through Sunday – and displays exhibits by local artists. There’s also an assortment of games in the lobby like billiards and foosball – and you’ll also have access to Bungalow’s sister property, Wave Resort, with its private beach club, outdoor pool, fitness center, children’s playroom, plus a modern brasserie-style restaurant complete with a beach bar and nightclub.
History buffs will appreciate the fact that this classic hotel in downtown Freehold used to be an old stagecoach stop – built back in 1827. Today, traditional rooms have dark wood furnishings, mini-fridges, and coffee makers, while suites have living space and soaking tubs. Ask for a room with a wrought-iron balcony facing the street and adorned with hanging plants during the summer months. The hotel lobby has plenty of seating areas and a lovely piano and lounge, as well as an American bistro with steaks and seafood. Three ballrooms also make this a popular place for weddings. Continental breakfast is included in the rate – and the nearby Turkey Swamp Park offers hiking and biking trails.
This contemporary hotel has a touch of industrial design in a prime location outside of Morristown, at Florham Park’s mixed-use corporate campus. There are 161 deluxe guest rooms and suites here with working desks, mini-fridges, and Nespresso machines. Common spaces are fun and friendly and include furnished indoor/outdoor areas, with billiards and bocce ball, a fitness room, and an indoor pool. There’s also a trendy bar and restaurant drawing a post-work crowd. Start the day with avocado toast and Intelligentsia coffee – or wait for dinner for garden bowls, seafood, and specialty cocktails like the Hemingway Daiquiri.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.