Just a hop, skip and jump away from the bustling Manhattan scene, Northern New Jersey is a culture hub in its own right. When it comes to the film and music scene, the best way to see Northern Jersey’s talent is at a festival. The good news is there are plenty of them. The bad news is that trying to choose which one to attend is a pretty tough decision.
To help you decide, here are the best music and film festivals in Northern New Jersey.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Montclair Film Festival
The world-class Montclair Film Festival has bragging rights for its famous host, Stephen Colbert, and high-profile panelists, attendees and contributors. In a town full of passionate multi-media artists and filmmakers (yup, there are plenty of those, too) the Montclair Film Festival highlights some of its very best.
Newark Black Film Festival
Now in its 44th year, the Newark Black Film Festival is the longest running film festival of its kind in the United States. Hosted by The Newark Museum, the event is free to attend and features panels and discussions in addition to showing films. Attendees can submit and enjoy films that cover a wide array of cinematic topics all with the intent of supporting and promoting progressive pieces on the African American culture, experience and diaspora.
Montclair Jazz Festival
The Montclair Jazz Festival is a proud, “no tickets required” event hosted yearly in Nishuane Park. It features an impressive roster of critically-acclaimed jazz musicians, singers and upcoming artists. Alongside this high-caliber lineup, the festival also showcases the younger set and invites multiple children’s jazz ensembles and groups to play as well.
The Summer Stage
The legendary Stone Pony venue in Asbury Park lures the summer crowds with its Stone Pony Summer Stage event. Just a block from the beach and the boardwalk, the Summer Stage hosts world-famous acts and star-studded lineups on its outdoor stage all summer long.
The Asbury Park Surf Music Festival
Much like The Stone Pony Summer Stage, the Asbury Park Surf Music Festival is growing into a popular and iconic summer music stopover. Hosted at The Anchor’s Bend Beach Bar, this one-day event hosts totally tubular acts such as Hi-Tide, The Surfrajettes and Los Straitjackets who play throwback ’60s surf rock. So, grab some BBQ, a beer and hang ten!
The Golden Door Film Festival
Jersey City’s Golden Door Film Festival features only indie films with the sole intention of providing a network and “golden door” for indie filmmakers and creatives looking to break into the biz. This four-day film festival showcases some of the best indie films against the backdrop of the beautiful city and Hudson River.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.