Food and drink festivals have been growing in popularity all over the United States – and Jersey City, NJ, is no stranger to that trend. While many are familiar with the city’s food fests, the burgeoning beer and cocktail scene in Jersey City has inspired numerous drinks-based events. Jersey City Whiskey Fest is just one of those festivals. Hosted by Evan Berman Productions, the weekend event invites locals from the Garden State and New York City to Harborside in Jersey City to sample the world’s finest whiskeys. But for those who are new to drink events of this size, don’t worry, learn more about how to work your way around Jersey City Whiskey Fest below.
Try the local stuff
Although many people look to Scotland and Ireland for their whiskey (or whisky, depending on where it’s from), there are many varieties that are made locally in the New York metro area. Slow & Low Rock & Rye is made in Philadelphia while Misunderstood Whiskey was founded and distilled in Jersey City. Not only can you find them at Jersey City Whiskey Fest, but you’ll also be able to find them at many of the local bars in the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Experience the rare whiskey styles
What a great night at the Jersey City Whiskey Fest! Thank you all for coming out! . . #jerseycity #jerseycitywhiskeyfest #harborside #jcwhiskeyfest #nyc #nycskyline #waterfront #whiskey #whisky #singlemalt #rye #scotch #bourbon #whiskyporn #whiskeyporn #malt #alcohol #whiskeygram #whiskygram #whiskeylovers #whiskylovers #instawhiskey #instawhisky
A post shared by Jersey City Whiskey Fest (@jcwhiskeyfest) on Mar 25, 2017 at 11:52pm PDT
Jersey City Whiskey Fest prides itself on bringing attendees a large variety of spirits, and they aren’t kidding. The event offers more than 100 styles of whiskey from bourbons to single malts. Regardless of how knowledgeable you are with your whiskey, the event will not only let you drink your favorites but also expose you to some liquors that you might not have tried before. For instance, there are number of rare Japanese whiskeys that have become mainstays at the festival, which are not easily found elsewhere.
Enjoy the culinary options
Darn good #oldfashioned #gelato from @bucketandbay at #jcwhiskeyfest #jerseycity
A post shared by Jenna Laurenzo (@jennalaurenzo) on Mar 24, 2017 at 6:14pm PDT
Although many come to Jersey City Whiskey Fest for the alcohol, you should never start a drinking event without anything in your belly. It’s a good thing the festival organizers have as good taste in food as they do spirits. Whether its BBQ from Red, White & Que Smokehouse or dessert from Bucket & Bay Craft Gelato, Jersey City Whiskey Fest will also be able to satisfy those food cravings and keep you fueled to sample other drinks.
It’s not just for whiskey drinkers
Come sample New Jersey’s Award Winning Vodka! Claremont Potato made right here in the Garden State. New Jersey – you deserve the best! #jerseyproud #nj #vodka #distilledexcellence #glutenfree #potatovodka #wineenthusiast #goldmedal #jerseyfresh #gardenstate #jcwhiskeyfest #jerseycity #6thborough #hoboken #hudson
A post shared by Claremont Distilled Spirits (@claremontdistillery) on Mar 24, 2017 at 3:56pm PDT
While it may be a whiskey festival, the organizers know that not every attendee is a die-hard scotch or rye fan. So they made sure to accommodate not only those who like other drinks but also the ones who have volunteered to be designated drivers. Jersey City Whiskey Fest also offers a selection of other beverages including Claremont Vodka and Hoboken Brewery.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.