City living is fun, exciting and always an adventure but it isn’t exactly cheap. If you’re looking to tighten your purse strings and enjoy all that Hoboken has to offer with your other half, there plenty of budget-friendly options.
Check out these 11 cheap and free date ideas in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Movies Under the Stars
Pier A hosts free movie screenings that are open to the public every Wednesday night. Bring a lawn chair, blanket and some popcorn and enjoy! Date night complete.
Want to do something fun and tasty? This Hoboken-based bakery rose to fame for the impressive confectionery creations and today, you’d be lucky to visit the storefront and only wait in a line for a few minutes. Beat the crowds and schedule a cake decorating class instead and learn the secrets of the Cake Boss himself.
This cozy and romantic restaurant offers early dinner specials throughout the week. For just $19 per person, you can enjoy a three-course meal, Monday–Saturday. Seatings are at 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., so make sure you get there on time!
If you’re looking for a cheap and delicious cocktail that’s $5 or less, there are plenty of places in Hoboken to go – you just have know where and most importantly, when. A number of high-priced restaurants offer drink specials throughout the week, including The CuBan on Sundays from 3–6 p.m. or The Brass Rail after 11 p.m. Cheers!
Frank Sinatra Sidewalk Star
Hoboken is the birthplace of music, film and culture icon Frank Sinatra and also where he got his start in the 1940s. The city commemorates his life and accomplishments with a bronze sidewalk star. Visiting this spot and walking around the city is a fun way to see the “stars” and the sites of Hoboken.
Yoga on the Pier
The couple who sweats together stays together. Enjoy a free yoga class every Tuesday and Thursday from 7–8 p.m. at Pier A Park near the waterfront. It’s a great way to get outside, get moving and get sweaty!
Taco Tuesdays are always a cause for celebration and a great option for a cheap date night. Go to Cadillac Cantina’s for $3 tacos and $3 Coronas on tap. At City Bistro, you can feast on three tacos for $10 and a $5 margarita. Cheers!
Grab your bikes, go for a run or stroll down the waterfront walkway on a beautiful day to take in the New York City skyline and Hudson River. This pedestrian walkway will take you all the way from downtown to uptown and back again, with stops at Pier A, B and C along the way.
Concerts in the Park
Every Thursday evening at the amphitheater during the summer, the city of Hoboken hosts free outdoor concerts. From the Sinatra Idol Contest to the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra and even a Swing dance show, this a fun, free date night.
Pier 13 Park
An outdoor biergarten complete with food trucks, lawn chairs and movies under the stars, Pier 13 is the ultimate spot to be on a warm summer night with your sweetheart.
$7 Movie Nights
After your Taco Tuesday meal, head over to the Bow Tie Cinemas in town to catch a flick for only $7. It may be a weeknight but you can beat the crowds and finally get to see that film you’ve been wanting watch.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.