The seaside city of Asbury Park is a cultural hub full of historic locales, world-famous music venues and clubs, plus more award-winning food and drink establishments than you can pack into a weekend. So, to help you see the heart and soul of this city, we narrowed it down to the top 10 amazing things to see and do in Asbury Park.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Swan Pedal Boats on Wesley Lake
There is nothing more delightfully cheesy and fun than pedaling your way up and down Asbury’s beautiful Wesley Lake in a giant swan thanks to Asbury Park Pedal Boats. Although the waterway is fairly small, it’s an enjoyable and budget-friendly way to spend some time on the lake with friends and get a unique perspective of Asbury by boat—swan boat.
Silverball Museum Arcade
Perfect for children of all ages, the Silverball Museum Arcade is just that: a museum and an arcade all in one. They pride themselves on offering over 600 games in their rotation and describe the spot as a “living, breathing and blinking tribute to our pinball and video gaming past.” Plus, the arcade sits right on the boardwalk, so it offers a truly old-school Jersey Shore experience.
Yappy Hour at The Wonder Bar
Calling all dog lovers! When you stop by Asbury’s famous Wonder Bar in the spring and summer, make sure to bring your furry, four-legged friends with you. The beachside bar and music venue opens up their sand-covered outdoor area to owners and their pooches. Just, er, watch where you step.
The Convention Hall
Although it went through a period of hard times from the 1970s–2000s, Asbury Park was once a glamorous destination for wealthy out-of-towners, which is visible in many of its remaining structures that are still in use today, most notably, the Convention Hall. Standing tall and proud on the boardwalk, at the shores of the Atlantic, it is home to the Paramount Theater, various shops, popular restaurants, and other major events throughout the year. Today, Asbury’s Convention Hall is a reminder of days gone by as well as the town’s promising future that lies ahead.
Festhalle & Biergarten Rooftop Bar
You can’t pass through Asbury Park without swinging by the rooftop bar at the Asbury Festhalle & Biergarten. This authentic German biergarten has 41 beers on tap, live music, and a large rooftop bar that overlooks Wesley Lake, the Casino, and some impressive ocean views.
The Stone Pony
Ocean Avenue’s The Stone Pony has earned the reputation of being one of the greatest music venues of all time thanks to the legendary musicians (Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi) and bands (Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes) it launched in the ’70s and ’80s. It continues to be an important part of Asbury’s music scene, hosting countless nightly shows and drawing huge crowds with its popular Summer Stage series.
North Eats Food Trucks
Discover Asbury’s Northside and visit the North Eats Food Trucks to grab a quick bite as you stroll up and down the boardwalk. From Playa Bowls to the Sand Box and farm-fresh eats at the Green Wagon Market, North Eats has plenty of options that you can enjoy at one of the picnic tables on their outdoor patio under the string lights.
Asbury’s famously abandoned casino is a haunting reminder of what the town looked like in its heyday. The Beaux-Arts structure sits at the south end of the boardwalk at the edge of its neighboring town, the historic Ocean Grove. Visitors can still walk through the crumbling building and imagine what it used to be; however, it’s still a favorite attraction as it stands.
Walk down Asbury’s main drag, Cookman Ave, and you’re likely to notice the beautiful glass pieces in the windows of Hot Sand. Inside, the storefront is split up into both a retail and working studio space where visitors can take glassblowing classes. It’s a unique experience that gives you a feel for the creative scene of Asbury Park.
The Asbury Park Boardwalk
With its colorful characters, unique shops, and beautiful ocean backdrop, the spirit of the Asbury Park Boardwalk is what draws people back time and again.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.