A gothic hideaway in Las Vegas, a haunted cottage in Virginia City, a former bordello in Death Valley – Nevada’s hotels are as wide-ranging as its landscapes.
Nevada certainly doesn’t lack for hotels, with about 150,000 rooms in Las Vegas alone. But if you prefer something a bit more eccentric than the usual corporate, casino-chain accommodation, the Silver State offers plenty of options. From the restored historic properties of the north to the art-and-memorabilia-filled hotels in the south and the clowns in between, there’s something for everyone.
Hey there, daydreamer! Need a well-deserved break from work altogether? Check out our collection of adventurous, small group getaways – in all-time favourite and further-flung destinations. Packed with authentic local experiences, unforgettable activities and one-off accommodations, they’re a world away from the everyday.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Shady Lady offers remote desert vistas and extravagantly themed guest rooms. There’s the dramatic Asian room, the lilac-tinted Victorian suite, or, better yet, the Willow Tree cabin – a pioneer-style cabin with a kitchenette and a wooden washtub-style bathtub. If you’re wondering what inspired the heart-shaped tub in the paradise suite, note that the Lady functioned as a legal brothel until 2014. Lounge by the pool, listen to the desert songbirds, and watch the herd of peacocks meander by. Be warned, though, remote means remote – the nearby town of Beatty doesn’t even have a grocery store, so stock up before your arrival.
Circa, the first ground-up casino to be built downtown in four decades, pays homage to the past with Vegas memorabilia, from photos to poker chips, on display. The centerpiece is the two-story-high neon sign of Vegas Vickie, a bodacious blonde cowgirl who used to kick up her boots on Fremont Street and now holds court in the central cocktail bar. The minibars and upscale sofa-wall-beds lend the rooms a sophisticated, lounge-like feel, while the bathrooms are super-glam, featuring movie-star lighting and gilded wallpaper embellished with pin-up girls and poker chips. If you want to leave your room, the high-rise pool complex features a vast HD screen playing sports, usually accompanied by live DJs.
An unexpectedly gothic hideaway off the Vegas Strip, the Artisan is an adult hangout featuring everything from the topless pool to the tapas bar and every Toulouse-Lautrec painting in between. The dark hallways are decorated with hundreds of gilt-framed reproductions of works by artists such as Da Vinci, Dali, Botticelli, and Balthus – some hung in classic symmetry, others strewn at angles across walls and ceilings. Barcelona Tapas, off the lobby, serves a wide range of bites and cocktails, often with live music. Want to throw a really big party? The entire hotel is available for rent.
Dreaming of those iconic American desert ‘scapes? We can go one better than Nevada – and take you to the red rock canyons and white-water rapids of Utah and Colorado, on our epic eight-day itinerary. Book today to guarantee your fix of Freedom.
Colurophobics beware! Tonopah’s Clown Motel is home to nearly 3,000 clowns – paintings, photos, tapestries, dolls, figurines, and some unsettling life-sized statues. Many adorn the lobby, but each room also features its own collection of clowns, including artwork created by the hotel’s current owner. Want to go deeply creepy? Book one of the Exorcist, Halloween, or IT rooms, each of which comes with themed art and decor. The Clown Motel is easy to find: drive down the one main street in Tonopah and look for the fire-engine-red building covered in rainbow polka-dots, right next door to the Old Tonopah Cemetery.
The Boulder Dam Hotel dates back to when the dam was a newly built miracle of modern engineering and guests such as Bette Davis and Shirley Temple were hot young stars. The elegant, white-pillared hotel opened in 1933 and the wooden panelling and grand staircase in the lobby still impress. A hallway decorated with vintage murals of Boulder City leads to an art gallery, a spa, and the Boulder City & Hoover Dam Museum, a small yet intriguing collection of artefacts and anecdotes. There’s a restaurant open for breakfast and lunch and, during the nocturnal hours, Cleveland’s Lounge is a speakeasy-style basement bar that pours classic cocktails while live bands play.
The Jesse may be located in a historic building in Reno, but the vibe is definitely 21st-century. High-ceilinged rooms have a minimalist industrial/Scandinavian aesthetic, but also keep comfort in mind, with blackout drapes on the windows, Netflix on the TV, and the bathroom outfitted with robes and top-shelf toiletries. Downstairs, a bar and lounge offer in-house booze and caffeine options, while the on-site restaurant Estella serves tacos and mezcal.
Prefer to get your kicks south of the border? Check out our selection of Mexican itineraries – from riding the El Chepe train through the Copper Canyon, to laid-back beach vibes in Baja California Sur, or temples and cenotes on the Yucatan Peninsula.
“Adorable” and “haunted” is an unlikely combination, but it fits the Sugarloaf Mountain Motel in Virginia City historic district. The 140-year-old property resembles a row of fairy-tale cottages, with baby-blue paint and white gingerbread trim, surrounded by a picket fence. Modern updates include wifi, flatscreens, and an on-site mini-mart – should you suddenly need a toothbrush or an ice cream sandwich or both – without losing its historic charm. The dozen rooms are outfitted with vintage touches such as iron bedsteads and patchwork quilts, while several feature exposed stone walls or balconies; a few are even said to host spirits.
The weird and wonderful world of Nevada awaits. Start your journey now
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.