On this all-action experience you’ll upgrade your typical city break with a Top Gun flying experience and a dune buggy race through Nevada’s wilds.
First timer in Las Vegas? You probably have a few things to strike off your bucket list: a casino, a glitzy restaurant, the Bellagio Fountains, a big-scale show. But you should also leave a few days open to see the ravishing nature outside city limits: the flame-colored rock formations, the fizzing rapids, the pine-fringed lakes…
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“My favorite thing is kayaking along the Black Canyon water trail on the Colorado River,” says Joyce Kehoe of Boulder City adventure shop and rental center, Desert Adventures. “This 12mi (19km) stretch of river, between the Hoover Dam and Willow Beach, is smooth and breathtakingly beautiful to paddle along. There’s amazing wildlife and desert landscapes within the canyon, as well as natural hot springs and caves to explore.”
So, why not add a couple of days to your Las Vegas city break so you can explore Nevada’s natural bounty – much of it within an hour’s drive – and throw yourself into the many exhilarating hiking, horseback-riding and water-based excursions that depart from Sin City’s center. Below, we combine an adrenaline junkie’s dream hotel with three bracing adventures, including a Top Gun-themed adventure over the Mojave Desert, where you can make like Maverick and Goose, and they’re all bookable right here on Culture Trip.
Where to Stay: the Hotel
Canyons, hikes and emerald pools are all well and good, but the adventures don’t stop once you’re back in the city. This central hotel on the Strip – the neon-lit, casino-trimmed place to be in Las Vegas – has a healthy dose of action right on site. Once you’ve checked in, you can hurl yourself straight into Vegas’s bigger-is-better attitude by taking to the hotel’s urban zipline or heady observation wheel – the aptly named High Roller. If you’re returning from hikes, bikes or rides out of town, though, the real draw is the Linq’s plush spa, with a eucalyptus-scented steam room and whirlpool to unwind in – not to mention oh-so outré, and very Vegas, treatments like pumpkin-spice facials. If you’re ending up in Vegas after an adventure-packed road trip, it’s all about the sun-drenched pool terrace here – book a double daybed, clear the calendar and keep those margaritas coming.
What to Do: the Experiences
Love the movie Top Gun (1986)? This quirky flying experience lets you step into its world of all-American pilots and act as wingman to your guide. They’ll let you take over the controls and teach you to loop and spin in a series of flight tricks. Yep, this is true, thrill-seeking stuff, all with the backdrop of North America’s most arid wilderness, the Mojave Desert, stretching for miles around.
The rock formations and cave walls at Antelope Canyon – pebble-smooth and streaked with sunset shades of red – look hand-carved by a master sculptor. Run your hands along them on this full-day tour, which really digs into the natural splendor around Las Vegas. Crossing state lines from Nevada into Arizona, you’ll be driven in a comfy, air-conditioned SUV to two of the area’s most visually dazzling sites. Make sure phones are fully charged for impromptu canyonside photo shoots.
The Mad Max vibes are undeniable on this boisterous buggy chase out in the Nevada desert. As evidenced by the tongue-in-cheek title of “Vegas’s Best Near-Death Experience” coined in a Rolling Stone write-up, only the brave need apply. Rev up your pared-bag buggy and set off on a 30-minute chase, bashing over sand dunes, bouncing wildly and veering sideways along the way.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.