From hockey, soccer and basketball to a revamped baseball squad and future football franchise, Las Vegas is becoming a city for sports.
For decades, Las Vegas lacked a professional sports team to call its own. The city was a center for sports betting, but never had a home game. Then, in 2017, the Vegas Golden Knights NHL expansion team kicked off their first season, followed by soccer and basketball teams. With a new football team and stadium on the way and a revamp to the minor-league baseball team, gathering to watch the game is a city-wide pastime.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“We’re a major city and major cities have sports. It provides identity to the community,” Brett Lashbrook, owner of the Las Vegas Lights says. “The fast break of the Lakers, what the Green Bay Packers mean: they reflect their communities and they’re a source of pride. I think it’s silly how long it took for pro sports to come but the floodgates are open now.”
The desert may seem to be an unlikely home for a hockey team, but the Vegas Golden Knights became the city’s heroes. The city’s first NHL team was given 500-1 odds to the win the Stanley Cup when the season opened, but it ended with the Knights making it all the way to the finals.
The team plays in the T-Mobile Arena on the Strip and the adjacent Park outdoor plaza often becomes a semi-tailgate party. The Golden Knights have made history by being the first expansion team to go to the NHL Finals in their first season and hopes are high that 2018-19 will bring the cup home.
The WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces come to Vegas from San Antonio, where they were known as the Stars. The team is coached by NBA Hall of Famer Bill Laimbeer and plays in the Mandalay Bay Arena, which was renovated for their arrival. “It’s exciting,” says Aces point guard Moriah Jefferson of the move, “I love meeting people in Las Vegas and getting a chance to immerse myself in the community is great.”
Another asset to the Aces team is 2018 1st overall draft pick A’ja Wilson, who has already put up strong play in several tough overtime games. “I think we’ve got a lot of new fire in the team and it’ll be exciting to watch,” says Jefferson.
Building ties to the community has always been the goal of the USL’s Las Vegas Lights FC. The soccer team sought public input on their name and logo and make sure to have players with local ties on their roster. “We are for Las Vegas and by Las Vegas” team owner Brett Lashbrook points out, “We became the first pro team to guarantee at least one local player—someone born here, raised here, went to high school or college here. And we actually have six local players now.”
The Lights (aka Luces) play at Cashman Field in downtown Las Vegas. “It’s a quarter-mile from Fremont Street—they have dinner, music, gambling—it gives everyone the option to do what they want after the game,” says Lashbrook, “We are part of Downtown Las Vegas and we wear it proudly.”
For years, the Las Vegas 51s have been a Triple-A minor-league baseball team affiliated with the New York Mets who play at Cashman Field. All of that is about to change. In 2019, the team will move into a new home near the neighborhood of Downtown Summerlin. “You couldn’t ask for a better location,” says Jim Gemma, media director of the 51s, noting that the new field will also host other events, too. “It’s going to be a win-win for everybody. It’s great for the player amenities, but also for the fans.”
He’s excited for a new field that he feels will up an already high-level game: “This is Triple-A—these players are so good, so professionally advanced, a lot of them should be in the league.” The team will also end its affiliation with the Mets and abandon its Area 51 moniker—buy those alien-design baseball caps while you still can…
There a number of large, empty lots along the strip south of the Mandalay Bay. In a few more years, one will be home to a stadium and that stadium will be home to the NFL’s Raiders. Planned for completion in 2020, the controversial $2 billion dollar stadium will also house UNLV football games. It remains to be seen how the Raiders will do in Las Vegas, but local football fans figure the fancy stadium will get them a Super Bowl, whether the Vegas team is in it or not.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.