The quaint, historic town of Boulder City is only 30 minutes from Las Vegas—but it feels much farther. Nevertheless, it offers a lot of activities for the Nevada wanderer.
The town of Boulder City was born in the 1930s, when workers on the Hoover Dam needed a place to live. Today, it’s an alternative to Las Vegas that offers a quaint, small-town feel. But that doesn’t mean it’s a dull spot: Boulder City has plenty to lure visitors to spend an afternoon or a weekend.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to eat
The Coffee Cup Cafe specializes in a well-brewed cup of coffee and a big breakfast, like a broccoli scramble, pork chili verde burrito, or a “Big Texan” omelet. This family-run restaurant is a community standard, with the turquoise walls crammed with regulars’ relics, from snapshots to gold records.
As you may guess by the name, The Dillinger Food & Drinkery works a gangster theme. There are sepia-toned photos on the walls, as well as Capone and Baby Face Nelson burgers on the menu, which is complemented by an extensive beer list. The Dillinger also frequently hosts live bands.
Come hungry and ready to get your fingers sticky at Fox Smokehouse BBQ. Everything here is slow-cooked, from brisket and pulled pork to smoked wings. You can get a sandwich, combo platter, or buy meat by the pound.
Located in the middle of Boulder City’s Old Town neighborhood, Milo’s is a combination restaurant, wine bar, and bed and breakfast. Milo’s has over 300 varieties of wine, all of which are available in flights. The menu is on the light side, with small plates, salads, sandwiches, and pasta dishes.
Where to drink
The Back Stop Sports Pub first opened in 1931 as a recreation center for dam workers and has been in its current location for 25 years. The historic oak bar boasts cheap drinks, comedy nights, and a daily 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. happy hour to keep things festive.
A brewpub with bands, DJs, and special events, the Boulder Dam Brewing Co. is a lively community hot spot. The eponymous beer is brewed on-site in eight tanks and includes varieties such as Spillway Saison and Pekoe Pale Ale. The space is adorned with photographs and other memorabilia of the Hoover Dam.
Activities to do
Built in 1933, the elegant Boulder Dam Hotel was a stopping-place for Hollywood stars like Bette Davis and Boris Karloff. Along with rooms, there is also a restaurant, bar, and shopping arcade—be sure to check out the vintage murals. The Boulder City and Boulder Dam Museum is also on-site, allowing visitors to dive even deeper into history.
For those who are interested in trains, the Nevada State Railroad Museum has plenty to offer, from antique tickets to fully functional locomotives. And if all you want is a scenic train road to the Hoover Dam, they have the Nevada Southern Railway for that.
Tom Devlin’s Monster Museum features a collection of props, masks, memorabilia, and more from horror movie history. A number of life-sized, life-like figures up the creep factor, especially with Ash from Evil Dead or Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre coming right at you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.