This short drive through the desert is packed with offbeat roadside attractions, quiet towns and plenty of space to stare at the skies and do some UFO spotting of your own.
If you think of Nevada and Las Vegas as being one and the same, think again – the remote state is so much more than a glittering casino haven. Nevada is home to Lake Tahoe, hundreds of ghost towns, Great Basin National Park and, of course, the infamous Area 51 – one of the most secretive places on the planet. It was officially developed by the government in 1955, but it was a few years earlier that the public took an interest in the guarded military base when rumors circulated of an alien spaceship being studied on-site; the government acknowledged an aircraft crash around 1947, but claimed it was a weather balloon.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As you can imagine, Area 51 is strategically located, which means it’s in the middle of nowhere. Or at least it was until State Route (or Highway) 375 became designated the Extraterrestrial Highway. Running from Alamo to Tonopah, the stretch of road began to attract increased numbers of tourists, alien hunters and even Hollywood filmmakers, all looking to investigate the abnormal activity in the area. Nowadays, the drive is a must for all fans of the unusual, creepy and unexplained.
Most explorers start their road trip from Las Vegas. All it takes is a few minutes of driving to feel like you’re in another world as the high-rise casinos get replaced by the cholla cacti, Joshua trees and dry river beds of the beguiling Mojave desert. It’s hard to not feel like you’re on your own Wild West adventure as you cruise past the stunning desert landscape – but eventually, the small buildings near E.T. Fresh Jerky appear in the distance. Expect a friendly atmosphere inside the store, especially if co-owner Marcelo Medina is working. “We get our aluminum hat-wearers in the store every once in a while,” he says, “but everyone is out here looking to have a great time.”
The next stop is the Alien Research Center, one of the most entertaining gift shops you’ll ever visit. It’s easy to see from afar thanks to the towering alien statue outside the bunker. Once you’ve chosen your souvenirs – perhaps an alien backpack or a couple of little green magnets – walk around the back where an old trailer provides a few more Area 51-inspired photo ops against the barren landscape.
If you’ve got time to kill after checking out the Alien Research Center, pull over and take time to stare at the skies. More than 43 UFO sightings have been recorded here since 2006 by the Mutual UFO Network, an organization that investigates civilian UFO sightings. Reports range from bright lights in the distance to alleged crafts caught in photos.
Combine your sky gazing with a visit to the Black Mailbox – a solitary postal box where alien enthusiasts attempt to interact with extraterrestrials by leaving notes and offerings. Can’t find it? Unfortunately, the tourist attraction is frequently stolen by UFO-obsessed visitors. Don’t worry, it always comes back.
The next stop is Rachel: population, 54. The incredibly tiny town is home to the Little A’Le’Inn (get it?) and caters almost exclusively to alien hunters.
Not only is entering the nearby Area 51 prohibited, you aren’t allowed to even take photos of the military signs. But head inside the Little A’Le’Inn diner to check out photos of alien encounters and UFO sightings. There’s also an on-site time capsule buried by the crew of Independence Day when filming wrapped in 1996.
The final stop is Tonopah, where the historic Mizpah Hotel, Tonopah Historic Mining Park, and Old Tonopah Cemetery add another layer of mystery to the highway. Many believe they’re haunted – so unsurprisingly, they draw in visitors as there’s significant overlap between people who consider themselves alien aficionados and people who wouldn’t mind spotting a ghost.
If there’s daylight left on your trip, visit the Old Tonopah Cemetery before checking in. While it’s not known for UFO sightings, it’s home to former residents buried more than a hundred years ago – and with hundreds of headstones, it’s easy to believe there could be more than a few restless spirits roaming the rolling terrain. You can even download a walking tour map to help guide your visit.
According to Chambrea Fowles, the sales manager for the Mizpah Hotel, there have been more than a few unexplained spooky sightings around the hotel and town. “I do believe there is other life out there in the universe,” she says. “There are hundreds of universes out there and billions of star; we can’t be the only life forms. Don’t you agree?”
Take a trip to Nevada for your next great adventure. Find out more at travelnevada.com.
This branded content article was published as part of a commercial campaign that has now ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.