From the highest of high-end restaurants to old-school Sagebrush Saloons, Nevada offers plenty of kooky culinary experiences for the curious foodie traveler.
Without a doubt, Nevada is one of the most offbeat states in the US. Lonely highways are dotted with cowboy hangouts, and century-old saloons buzz with hushed conspiracy theories of a crashed UFO spacecraft. Futuristic cities fizzle with the whir of spinning slot machines, while tumbleweeds blow through desolate Gold Rush ghost towns. Wherever you go, whatever you eat, expect the unexpected.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Welcome to Foodie Las Vegas
For hungry Nevada travelers, the adventure begins in Las Vegas. Let’s face it – whatever you want to eat here, you can almost certainly get it. This food-obsessed city is continually pushing the boundaries of contemporary cuisine and earning itself a reputation as one of the most diverse dining destinations in the nation. When it comes to sophistication, Vegas is the equal of NYC or LA. But it also does lowbrow with flair, too, tapping into the visitor’s sense of abandon and excess.
Take the Heart Attack Grill. Never a venue to shy away from controversy, this hospital-themed diner is best known for its quadruple bypass burger, served by waitresses, or rather “nurses”, to a stream of gluttonous patrons dressed in surgery gowns. Awarded the title of the most calorific burger in the world by Guinness World Records (only 9,983 calories per serving!) it’ll kickstart your journey towards upping your weight to 350lb (159kg) – the point at which you qualify for unlimited free food. Clean your plate and earn the honor of being pushed out to your car in a wheelchair. Political correctness is not really a thing here, in case you were wondering.
For something a little less filling, the multi-award-winning Donut Bar, just around the corner, offers a savory twist on the sugary treat – a gooey grilled cheese doughnut. If you want to replicate it at home, take two freshly baked cinnamon doughnuts, slice in half, then spread on a thick layer of butter before lightly toasting on a griddle. Add heaps of cheddar and havarti cheese, and serve with sriracha mayo or chipotle sauce. No wonder it immediately went viral. Launched as a short-term special in 2018, it’s now a consistent bestseller.
Sweet-toothed travelers are equally well catered for. If you’ve no fear of the dentist, we dare you to try the cotton-candy burrito at Creamberry. This Willy Wonka-style confection consists of three scoops of ice cream topped with sprinkles, marshmallows and brownie chunks, all wrapped in a multicolored layer of spangly cotton candy. Warning: it’s probably the most garish dessert we’ve ever seen. If that’s over the top, head to Dirt Dog for some marginally less extravagant deep-fried Oreos and Twinkies.
Desert Diners and Alien Ale
For more of Nevada’s culinary oddities, you’ll need to hit the highway – no hardship in the road-trip capital of the USA. Head north along US-93 and drop by E-T Fresh Jerky for some delicious jerky that not even an alien could turn down, before turning onto State Route 375, aka the Extraterrestrial Highway. This scorched ribbon of road passes by Area 51, the notoriously secretive air-force base and site of numerous reported UFO sightings. Halfway along the route, the Little A’Le’Inn serves its world-famous alien burger and alien amber ale.
The mining town of Tonopah is a quirky place for a break on your journey. Supposedly haunted, the atmospheric Mizpah Hotel is the best place to stay, though the Clown Motel up the road (next to a graveyard and stuffed to the brim with scary clown dolls) will also give you a night to remember. If you’re heading on to Lake Tahoe, check out the chalet-style La Fondue restaurant in the ski resort of Incline Village on the north shore of Tahoe. The alpine cheese fondue for two, featuring imported emmenthaler and Swiss gruyère melted with kirschwasser (morello cherry brandy), brings the spirit of the Matterhorn to Nevada – the perfect après-ski to round off an afternoon on the slopes.
Dubbed the Biggest Little City in the World, Reno may still be a casino town at heart, but its culinary scene has grown in recent years. The Riverwalk District is home to several innovative restaurants, and a stroll along the Riverwalk is a great way to burn off your newly acquired calories. When you reach the Rolled Mountain Creamery, you can put them all back again with a stir-fried, Thai-inspired “rolled” ice cream. Try the Green Tea Boba: green tea blend and red bean paste, topped with whipped cream, boba pearls and a Pirouline wafer.
Ghosts With the Most
Alternatively, if you’re circling back to Vegas, Highway 95 takes you past some of the eeriest ghost towns in Nevada. In the boozy, boisterous gold-prospecting years, windswept Goldfield was the largest city in the state. Today, this “living” ghost town is worth a stop, if only for the Dinky Diner’s sweet tortilla chillers, or an ice-cold beer at the Santa Fe Saloon, served by “Nevada’s meanest bartender”. Be sure to call ahead if you’re planning a visit, as the opening hours can vary.
Another two-hour drive will bring you to the former boomtown of Goodsprings. This dusty detour is worth the effort for the historic Pioneer Saloon alone, which opened in 1913. Here you can wolf down a haunted hot dog with ghost sauce at the Wild West-style bar. From here, it’s only a 45-minute drive back to Las Vegas, where more oddball food adventures await.
The weird and wonderful world of Nevada awaits. Start your journey now
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.