Livingston, Montana was once a mere trading post before growing into a decent sized gateway town to Yellowstone National Park. Close though the park is, however, Livingston has plenty of other points worth visiting, including several museums and art galleries and, as it turns out, plenty of great food. If you need some advice on where to go when you’re hungry, look no further than this list of The Culture Trip’s favorite restaurants in Livingston.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Stockman, in the quaint historical center of Livingston, is worth a visit just for its character ( that, and the hamburger). The restaurant seems in many ways to be stuck in time, with carefully wood panelled walls and cowboy prints on the walls. The hamburger speaks for itself, and what it’s saying is that it hopes you came hungry. Given where you are in the country, the buffalo burger is a great choice. You will be hard pushed to find buffalo any fresher. To the non-meat eaters, don’t worry, there are also a few lighter and vegetarian options.
Beer lovers will go wild for the craft beers at Neptune’s Brewery. From the very hoppy (the Mr. Bitters Double IPA) to the smooth and rich (the Chocolate Porter), their beers really knock it out of the park. For when you get hungry, their menu is a scintillating combination of excellently prepared pub food and sushi.
2nd Street Bistro
After a day out in the wilderness, maybe you’d like to come back in for a night of fine dining. 2nd Street Bistro is the perfect place to go. Deeply concerned with the local community, they do their best to source locally whenever possible and sustainably always. They use their own urban farm in the summer, and all of their fresh, local ingredients get cooked into some truly delicious French cuisine. While you’re waiting for your meal, enjoy one of their finely crafted cocktails, full of unusual flavor combinations that you’ll remember for months afterwards.
If you’re looking for a hearty breakfast to set you up for a long day out or a delicious, nourishing lunch, head to Faye’s Cafe, located in an old school building. Visitors rave about all of the various options, the friendly service, and the care that goes into all of the food. If you have a hard time making decisions, their daily special is always a great option. If you don’t, then Faye’s world is your oyster. There is no bad choice on the menu, and as the owners want you to have the best experience possible, they’re always happy to offer you a recommendation.
A much less formal endeavor from the good folks over at 2nd Street Bistro, Gil’s Goods has all the expertise and foodie-level love of good taste without a hint of formality. Their breakfast menu is short, but on it you’ll find your favorite classics done perfectly. For lunch and beyond, they have sandwiches and pizzas, and you’ll definitely need to look through the pizza menu a few times before deciding what you want. They’ve put together pies full of toppings that you may have never considered putting together, but after you have it, you’ll never want them apart.
Yellowstone Valley Grill
Yellowstone Valley Grill, located at the charming Yellowstone Valley Lodge, is the perfect combination of luxurious dining in a setting where it’s perfectly fine to show up hungry and straight from a day out in the woods. They have it all, gorgeous views of the nearby Absaroka Mountains, an expert chef whose creative dishes will wow you, and a commitment to locally and sustainably sourced ingredients. As you look through their ever-changing menu, you won’t be sure which country you’re in or even which continent you’re on, but you will be sure that what you’re ordering will be absolutely delicious.
Mark’s In & Out
On the very informal side of things, another Livingston favorite is always Mark’s In & Out, a roadside drive-thru diner. The little white building is a blast from the past in itself, explained by the fact that they’ve been in business for over 50 years. They do the basics, burgers, fries, hotdogs, milkshakes, and ice cream , and they do them well. But you’re coming here for the atmosphere in addition to the food, what could be better than sitting outside surrounded by nature and fresh air and enjoying a couple of onion rings after a long day’s hike?
Rosa’s Pizza does, as you might expect, pizza. And if you’re in Livingston and you want a pizza made by the people who really know how to do it, Rosa’s should be the first place you turn to. Get a personal pizza or a big one to share, and you have the option to either build your own or go with one of their pre-designed classics. If you want to make a real, family-style meal out of it, they also have great, fresh salads. Another potential item of interest are the dessert pizzas, you can choose between apple and cherry.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.