Nicknamed ‘big sky country’ for its dramatic blue sky that seems to stretch outward endlessly, it’s no wonder so many exceptional artists choose to live or display their work in beautiful Montana. From cutting-edge art spaces in Missoula to traditional galleries exhibiting landscape and wildlife paintings in Bozeman, here are ten of our favorite contemporary art galleries across Montana.
The Brink opened in March 2010 to coincide with Missoula’s First Friday, a monthly event during which local galleries, museums, and stores present regional art, artist talks, and performances. Since its debut, owner Jennifer Leutzinger has continued to showcase new artists in the gallery each month, with a focus on conceptual or experimental pieces. Featuring the work of emerging and established local, regional, and national artists, the Brink actively avoids defining itself, instead opening its simple space to all kinds of radically creative art, whether it’s installations, photography, sculptures or paintings. One of the gallery’s most memorable exhibitions was by MaryAnn Bonjorni, which involved a controversial display of taxidermied animals hanging from the ceiling.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Brink, 111 W Front St, Missoula, MT, USA, 1 406 728 5251
Set in the historic 19th century Danforth Building in Livingston, the Danforth Gallery is a community art center that has been exhibiting the work of Montana artists for 40 years. Focusing on emerging or under-recognized local, regional, and some international artists, the gallery exhibits and sells work in a variety of media, including paintings, jewelry and sculptures. The gallery’s first floor houses the main exhibition space and retail art shop, while the second floor contains space for art studios. In addition to rotating group shows, the gallery offers community art programs, and also participates in the annual Livingstone Art Walk, which takes place on the fourth Friday of the month from June to September.
The Danforth Gallery, 106 N. Main St., Livingston, MT, United States, +1 406-222-6510
Founded in 1989, ARTfusion exhibits ‘bright colorful contemporary original art’ produced by over 70 different Montana artists. Located in Bigfork, the gallery features paintings in a number of different media, ranging from oil and acrylic, to watercolor and silk, with most works depicting Montana’s natural scenery and wildlife. The gallery also showcases works in glass, metal, fiber and wood, as well as photography, ceramics, and the city’s largest collection of handmade jewelry. ARTfusion hosts three annual shows, which feature work by both established and emerging artists. Along with 15 other Bigfork art galleries, ARTfusion also participates in the city’s biannual art walks.
ARTfusion, 471 Electric Ave, Bigfork, MT, USA, +1 406-837-3526
Sunrise Studio and Art Gallery
Sunrise Studio and Gallery is a thoroughly Montanan gallery, owned by Montana native artists Lance Johnson and Dawn Ness. The pair exhibit their own original watercolors and oil paintings of the state’s nature and wildlife, including scenes of fly fishermen, waterfalls and wild horses. Sunrise Studio and Art Gallery also offers weekly classes and multi-day workshops for artists of all levels. The gallery regularly participates in Billings’ ArtWalk, an event held five times throughout the year, which offers an opportunity for visitors to meet local artists, as well as view their pieces and studios.
Sunrise Studio and Art Gallery, 2923 Montana Ave, Billings, MT, USA, +1 406 294 0199
Banovich Fine Art Gallery
Banovich Fine Art Gallery showcases works by various painters and sculptors, with a central theme of depicting wildlife from across the globe. Located in Livingston, the gallery features artwork in diverse media, ranging from lithographs to jewelry. The gallery’s founder, Montana native John Banovich, is an award-winning wildlife artist, who has been featured in Africa Geographic, The Outdoor Channel, and the Arts Magazine, among other national print and television outlets. Banovich, whose work is exhibited prominently in the gallery, is known for his ability to capture the spirit of exotic animals and places.
Banovich Fine Art Gallery, 2 Pine Creek Road, Livingston, MT, USA, +1 888 486-3160
Monte Dolack Gallery
Located in historic downtown Missoula, the Monte Dolack Gallery showcases paintings, posters, and prints created by Missoula natives Monte Dolack and his wife, Mary Beth Percival. Dolack is widely considered to be a contributor to the visual arts of the American West, whose early ‘Invaders Series’ established his international reputation for creating works that carry a sense of irony and humor. Mary Beth Percival’s paintings focus on nature, displaying the same sense of whimsy as Dolack’s pieces, along with a theme of appreciating life’s simple joys.
Monte Dolack Gallery, 139 W Front St, Missoula, MT, USA, +1 800 825 7613
Started in 1996 as a small storefront in Missoula, owner Dudley Dana originally opened the Dana Gallery in order to exhibit the work of local photographers, including his own. Voted Missoula’s best art gallery for six consecutive years, the Dana Gallery is one of Montana’s foremost galleries of fine art. The gallery showcases works by over 40 local and regional artists, ranging from internationally acclaimed artists to up-and-comers. The gallery offers a mixture of traditional and contemporary art, along with a reading corner stocked with art books. For over a decade, the gallery has hosted an annual ‘Paint Out’ in July, during which 20 artists paint en plein air, or outdoors, to create works inspired by Montana’s beauty.
Dana Gallery, 246 N Higgins Ave, Missoula, MT, USA, +1 406 721 3154
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.