As the state capital of Montana, Helena is home to a vibrant dining scene offering hungry diners everything from fine Italian fare, locally brewed beers and delicious baked goods. Here is our round-up of Helena’s best restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Restaurant, Italian, $$
Lucca’s is a fine-dining Italian restaurant recently named the best restaurant in all of Montana by Business Insider magazine. It first opened its doors in 2006 and since has been delighting local diners with chef Mike Hyyppa’s classic, lovingly crafted dishes. With just 15 tables, the atmosphere at Lucca’s is cozy and intimate and it is recommended diners make reservations if they want to grab dinner at one of the most popular restaurants in town. With dishes like the hand-trimmed New York steak with gorgonzola cheese and roasted garlic, or the sautéed fennel and seafood risotto with sea scallops, shrimp, calamari and Manila clams – accompanied by maître d Ray Spooner’s hand-picked wine list – its certainly worth booking ahead.
Bistro, Restaurant, French, Italian, Indian, Spanish, $
A hip venue located in the heart of historic downtown Helena, Benny’s Bistro takes locally grown ingredients and Montana-raised meat. It then infuses them with global flavors that reference the cuisines of Italy, India and Spain – to name but a few. Rich, earthy colors and exposed brick walls decorated with jazz-themed artworks give Benny’s Bistro a laid-back, lounge-like feel, while an open kitchen lets guests see the restaurant’s talented chefs in action. Select a few of Benny’s international tapas plates, like shrimp and grits or cheese-stuffed mushrooms, to share with friends. Or, opt for the a la carte menu, which offers tempting entrees including deconstructed chicken pot pie and pesto-encrusted walleye pike.
Blackfoot River Brewing
Bar, Pub, Restaurant, American
Though it isn’t a restaurant, brewpub Blackfoot River Brewing’s popularity and award-winning beers make it a worthy addition. Established in 1998 by three local home brewers, Blackfoot River Brewing offers beer lovers high-quality, hand-crafted beers in a community-oriented pub where the onsite brewery is visible from its lively bar. It also has an outdoor patio, which offers views over Helena. A daily changing line-up of beers are available by the glass, in sampler trays or as growlers to go (including one free beer while you wait for your growler to be filled). Guests can snack on Blackfoot’s free popcorn while sipping on ales such as its Single Malt IPA which scooped a gold medal at the 2007 North American Beer Awards.
First opened more than 40 years ago by owner Ray Domer, General Mercantile is an espresso bar, tea room and gift emporium rolled into one. Modeled on a typical general store from the Old West, General Mercantile’s wood floored and walled interior harkens back to Helena’s gold rush days. Its cozy nooks and booths are ideal for relaxing with a hot cup of coffee, cocoa or an old-fashioned soda. Kids will love its koi carp pond. Guests can sip espressos made with General Mercantile’s antique hand-pulled Italian espresso machine alongside Danishes and baked treats from local bakeries. Visitors will also love picking up souvenirs like local crafts, candies and cards in the gift emporium.
Park Avenue Bakery
Bakery, Cafe, European, American, $
Located on the edges of Mount Helena City Park in downtown Helena, Park Avenue Bakery is a cute and cozy European-style cafe specializing in artisanal breads, fine pastries and delicious desserts. Proud to be a part of the city’s long history of bread baking, Park Avenue Bakery is housed in the former Eddy’s Bakery building opened in the early 1900s by entrepreneur Eddy O’Connell. Eddy eventually turned it into a regional empire – perhaps part of its recipe for success. Breakfast items available include sausage rolls and fruit scones, while lunch offers pizza, Stromboli, soup and deli sandwiches and Park Avenue’s cakes, which include mudslide pie and lemon delight pudding.
The Brewhouse Pub & Grille
Bar, American, Pub Grub, $
Often hailed as one of Helena’s must-try restaurants, The Brewhouse Pub & Grille combines relaxed and friendly dining with locally brewed beers and hearty American pub fare. Its lively bar and dining room serves up brewpub grub like burgers, pizzas, pasta dishes and salads. For a real taste of what the joint has to offer, however, guests can opt for a house specialty dish like hand-battered Missouri River halibut sandwich or the Brewhouse bratwurst topped with sauerkraut and stone-ground beer mustard in a hoagie roll. During summer months, Brewhouse’s outdoor patio is ideal for sipping beers from local breweries including Blackfoot River Brewing and the Lewis & Clark Brewing Co while taking in views of downtown Helena.
Bistro, Restaurant, American, $
A classy-casual bistro in the heart of Helena’s historic downtown, On Broadway has guest flocking to it for its laid-back and intimate ambience, stylish surroundings and delicious world cuisine. Recently named Best Restaurant in the 2014 Best of Helena Awards, On Broadway welcomes guests with a chic dining room with exposed brick walls and a mezzanine level. While guests will find dishes as far ranging as teriyaki tuna kebabs and sautéed Cajun shrimp on the menu, the restaurant’s real specialty are its fresh, handmade Italian pastas and West Coast fusion inspired fish dishes. Try the prosciutto and angel hair pasta with rich Jarlsberg cheese sauce or the pan-blackened yellow fin tuna with green chili aioli and organic basmati rice.
Sandwich Shop, American, $
Quite possibly the most popular deli sandwich joint in town, the Staggering Ox today has two further Montanan branches in Billings and Missoula. Guests should head to the first original location in Helena if they really want to see what the fuss is about. Try its trademark Clubfoot sandwiches, which are made by baking a whole loaf in a tin can and hollowing out the middle to stuff with fillings like Rubin Tubin (corned beef, Swiss cheese, tangy sauerkraut, lettuce and homemade thousand island) or Chili Cheese Ox Doggie (beef franks, cheddar and nacho cheese, chili sauce). Also check out the art hanging from the Staggering Ox’s walls produced by local artists like Mana Lesman.
Cafe, Restaurant, Cajun, $
For classic Cajun and Creole eats, there’s only one place diners flock to in Helena – Café Zydeco. This is a casual place serving delicious Southern fare with further locations in Bozeman, Billings and Missoula. It may be tiny inside, but what Helena’s Café Zydeco lacks in space it more than makes up for in its full-of-flavor dishes. A quick look at its menu and Café Zydeco’s slogan ‘git some South in your mouth’ really rings true. Try a crawfish po’boy, shrimp and garlic cheese grits or a pot of spicy Creole jambalaya packed with chicken, shrimp and Andouille sausage. Sides include fried oysters and sweet potato fries.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.