While nearby St. Louis has its famous barbecue, Wentzville, Missouri is proof you don’t have to go to the big city for first-rate eats. We take in some of the best local restaurants in and around Wentzville, from gourmet burgers to authentic Italian fare.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Tattooed Dog
The former owner of popular St. Louis food truck Burger Ink, Chef Josh Lemmon, took the brick-and-mortar route when he opened The Tattooed Dog – Wentzville’s hottest burger joint – in 2014. Dubbing its food ‘upscale dive grub,’ the venue offers a gourmet twist on the classic burger and fries combo with inventive options like the Maui (topped with grilled pineapple, white American cheese, teriyaki wasabi glaze, roasted garlic aioli and spring greens) or the Perzola (with cheese, poached pears and gorgonzola crème). These options are then served with loaded, house-made fries topped with the likes of chili cheese or roasted chicken. Appetizers, sandwiches and hot dogs are served too alongside a couple of irresistible desserts – if you still have room, that is.
Cedar Lake Cellars
Over in nearby Wright City, there’s a glorious haven for local lovers of wine going by the name of Cedar Lake Cellars. While budding oenophiles could happily wile away an hour tasting the winery’s wares, foodies will get a kick out of its on-site restaurant and tasting bar’s elegant, seasonal cuisine. Lunch features upscale-casual eats like gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and cast iron cooked pizzas. Meanwhile, Cedar Lake Cellars’ dinner menu boasts mouthwatering entrées including salt-roasted prime rib and creamy lobster mac and cheese. An all-you-can-eat brunch is served on Sundays alongside Bloody Marys, mimosas and Cedar Lake Cellars’ very own sangria.
West Allen Grill
A local dining haunt since first opening in 1996, West Allen Grill has been serving its fresh and casual American eats for more than two decades. A cozy, welcoming space decked out in locally inspired memorabilia entices guests to try appetizers like loaded potato skins, coconut shrimp with sweet-and-sour marmalade and toasted ravioli (practically a local St. Louis dining tradition), followed by an array of mains. These include a range of burgers, sandwiches, flatbreads, pasta and dishes like meatloaf. They are served with mashed potatoes and green beans or BBQ baby back ribs basted in West Allen Grill’s homemade sauce.
Asabi Bistro Sushi Bar and Grill
In neighboring Lake St. Louis, Asabi Bistro Sushi Bar and Grill is the place to head to for eclectic and authentic Asian cuisine. Chef and owner Dara Thach brings years of experience working in restaurants across the US to his varied menu. Choose from Thai-inspired dishes like red or yellow curry, classic Chinese cuisine like orange chicken and chef specials like the Korean dish beef chap chae (potato noodles stir-fried with cabbage, carrots and Korean brown sauce). You can also check out Asabi Bistro’s extensive sushi menu for options like the Lake St. Louis roll (soybean wrap with yellowtail, jalapeño, cucumber, cilantro, pineapple and black tobiko).
Creative, seasonal New American dishes are the focus at BC’s Kitchen – a contemporary restaurant opened by acclaimed chef and St. Louis native Bill Cardwell eight years ago in Lake St. Louis. Menus at BC’s Kitchen change with the seasons, but guests can expect plenty of inventive plates crafted from locally sourced ingredients. Such recipes include smoked St. Louis-style pork baby back ribs with house-made BBQ sauce, baked mac and cheese and a crisp vegetable slaw and gumbo with andouille sausage, chicken, shrimp, steamed rice, green onion and a side of corn bread. These are all perfectly complemented by a range of beers, wines and clever cocktails.
Authentic, familiar Mexican fare is the order of the day at Los Portales – a restaurant popular with local Wentzville diners since opening its doors back in 2002. Team appetizers like queso fundido or spicy crab cakes with poblano peppers with Los Portales’ range of classic burritos, fajitas, enchiladas and the like. Or, opt for dishes like chipotle salsa-rubbed ribeye or shrimp ceviche tostadas. Finish with authentic desserts like Mexican flan or sopapillas, and wash it down with a selection from Los Portales’ extensive tequila and margarita list.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.