Canine treats, doggie beds, water bowls: these top pet-friendly hotels in St Louis, Missouri, are as comfortable for your four-legged friend as they are for you.
Maybe it’s the force of the mighty Mississippi, perhaps it’s the spirit of the many musical legends who have passed this way, but there’s a palpable sense of creativity pulsing through St Louis. Traveling with your four-legged friend? You’ll both be well catered for. Not only is the city home to the American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog – entirely devoted to the joy of man’s best friend – but many hotels welcome them with bespoke pet packages.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fluffy robes, chocolates on your pillow and cookies at bedtime add an element of “ooh” to your stay at the elegantly restored Magnolia Hotel. As it happens, it was here that film star Cary Grant purportedly started the chocolate on the pillow tradition when he was trying to lure a lover to his bed. While chocolate isn’t going to do it for your dog (indeed, the two aren’t ideal bedfellows), the hotel provides dog-friendly treats instead.
Cool and quirky, this boutique bolthole fits right into the Delmar Loop, a vibrant entertainment, dining and shopping district (look for the green “dog-friendly” paw icon in the windows of shops and eateries to know whether your pooch is welcome). An intergalactic aesthetic runs throughout here – think multicolor lighted staircase, rare space memorabilia, lunar toys and figurines. One floor is entirely dedicated to dog stays, with guests gifted a Moonrise doggie bandana and house-made pet treats on arrival.
Oozing eclectic style, this turn-of-the-century shoe factory, which stretches along historic Washington Avenue, is a classy pied-a-terre for you and your pooch. The combination of rustic exposed brickwork and sleek art deco-style furniture gives a pleasingly arty aesthetic to the 142 rooms. Meanwhile, dogs will love the location; close to great walks around the City Garden Sculpture Park, and along the Mississippi Waterfront. When it’s time to put your feet up, head to the rooftop bar for a sundowner cocktail to skyline views.
Set on the banks of the Mississippi, dappled in the dazzling reflected sunlight from the iconic Gateway Arch, it’s hard to beat the landmark location of the Four Seasons, which feels more resort than city hotel. Think cocktail demos and outdoor firepits, private cabanas around a rooftop pool, sophisticated al fresco dining, plus private entertainment suites with virtual simulators offering golf and baseball. But it’s not all about you. Four-legged guests receive a dog bed, food and water bowls, treats, and bottled water at check-in.
Looking for an extended stay in St Louis with your dog? Element offers pet-friendly suites with fully equipped kitchens. Health and wellbeing is the driving force here. Free breakfasts of granola and fresh fruit come as standard, and there’s an on-site “pantry” selling healthy snacks. If you aren’t walking the pup, you can borrow a bike from reception, or take a dip in the saltwater indoor pool – an eco- and skin-friendly alternative to chlorine.
If your dog could book their own accommodation, this would probably be it. For starters, this historic red-brick building is right across the street from a beautiful 14-acre (5.5ha) park – perfect for morning walkies. The laid-back Benton Park neighborhood has loads of restaurants, coffee shops and a couple of breweries. What you might miss in proximity to the major downtown attractions, the hotel more than makes up for in original period features, thoughtful touches and friendly, personal service.
Old World glamour awaits you and your hound at Chase Park Plaza – a destination in its own right. This elegant, 1920s art deco gem has been a playground for Hollywood icons and US presidents (and some of their dogs) for more than 100 years. To make Jerry Lewis’s Las Vegas-raised dogs feel more at home, hotel staff even created a doggie desert, complete with potted palm trees for them. Pets aside, expect sweeping staircases, a historical cinema, and a pool with fountains.
The Pampered Pooch package at the Ritz includes the provision of a plush, in-room pet bed, food and water bowls and a special keepsake pet toy. Forgot your leash? Borrow one for walkies around the very pet-friendly enclave of Clayton, where five parks lie within a mile of the hotel. Inside you can enjoy fine dining in the largest wine cellar in the city, a relaxing spa and the convenience of the Ritz Kids club, or just bask in the pared-back elegance of your room.
Ever booked a hotel room based on color alone? The Angad Arts Hotel has a décor to suit every sensibility. In need of rejuvenation? Choose a green-themed room, designed to increase your levels of serotonin. Want a mood boost? Go for yellow, complete with smiley face whoopee cushions. The pup package includes a doggie tennis ball that coordinates with your chosen room color, and the hotel donates $25 to the local stray dog shelter with every booking.
Combining function with flair and finesse, this Marriott offers occupies an 1893 landmark building in the beating heart of Downtown. Its showstopper feature is the vast, kaleidoscopic stained-glass skylight that caps the elegant marble-tiled lobby. The full spa, rooftop pool and top-floor bar will keep you entertained – not that you’ll need it. Many of the city highlights and great restaurants are walkable from the front door. Two dogs are allowed per room.
Looking for more stays in the Gateway to the West? Check out our guide to the best hotels in St Louis, Missouri, for every traveler.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.