From brewpubs and bistros to kitsch ice cream parlors and farm-to-table fare, Missouri’s state-wide dining scene has something to suit every discerning diner. We traverse the state to bring you Missouri’s very best restaurants.
Stone Public House
44 Stone Public House is a gastropub specializing in upscale pub grub teamed with fine ales and whiskey that is helping put Columbia and Mid-Missouri on the map as a culinary destination. Modelled on the casual, cozy pubs of the British Isles, 44 Stone’s menu takes inspiration from food typical to England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales and combines with a contemporary American slant to imagine dishes like imperial stout-marinated sirloin steak and wild caught north Atlantic haddock with hand-cut chips; all teamed with an extensive list of domestic and imported craft ales and whiskeys.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
requently listed amongst the best barbecue joints in St Louis (and for a barbecue-obsessed state like Missouri, that’s certainly a compliment) Bogart’s Smokehouse first opened its doors in 2011 and since then its succulent meats, slow-cooked over apply and cherry wood, have reached legendary status. Chef Skip Steele, a pit master veteran who honed his skills growing up in Memphis, cooks all Bogart’s meats in a smoker located in the restaurant’s back yard for up to 24 hours. Diners rave about options such as juicy pulled pork, apricot bruleed prime ribs and succulent pastrami teamed with side dishes like deviled egg potato salad and pit-smoked baked beans
The Fountain on Locust
For unique dining with kitsch personality, look no further than The Fountain on Locust, an award-winning ice cream parlor and food joint voted Best Restaurant for Impressing Out-of-Towners in the St Louis Post-Dispatch’s Readers Choice Awards. An art deco-inspired interior hand-painted by owner Joy Christensen (think retro tiled floors and old-fashioned countertop seats overlooked by bright murals) welcomes guests to try signature ice cream cones, sundaes and floats in flavors like butter pecan and coconut almond joy, and while the much-loved spot might seem aimed at kids, ‘grown-up’ ice cream lovers will get a kick out of the Fountain’s liquor-tinged adult floats and ice cream martinis.
Flat Branch Pub & Brewing
A downtown Columbia tradition since it first opened over 20 years ago (the last brewery pub to do so in the city since 1841) Flat Branch Pub & Brewing is a cozy, upscale pub and the winner of various awards including Inside Columbia Magazine’s Best Overall Restaurant multiple times. Located in a 1927-built brick warehouse, complete with Columbia’s largest bar and a spacious patio, Flat Branch specializes in handmade, traditional pub favorites given an American twist; like deep-fried catfish and chips with tangy tartar sauce, and tender shredded pork braised in a spicy adobo sauce and served in fried taco shells with southwestern slaw and pico de gallo; which, of course, are best teamed with the pub’s handcrafted, in-house brewed beers.
Known as the home of the original ‘throwed rolls’, Lambert’s Café is a Missouri dining tradition dating way back to the 1940s, famous for its hearty portions of traditional American fare and homey diner-style atmosphere. Today, Lambert’s Café boasts two locations in Missouri and a further branch in Alabama, though the Sikeston restaurant (the home of the original restaurant opened in 1942 by owners Earl and Agnes Lambert) is where it all began. Sit back with family and friends in one of its wooden booths and dine on dishes like Bar-B-Q pulled pork sandwich on Texas toast, fried catfish with cornbread or hushpuppies and chicken livers with mushroom gravy.
Gram & Dun
An upscale, contemporary take on the neighborhood restaurant Gram & Dun combines sophisticated, culinary-driven American eats with perfectly paired drinks in a sociable space that attracts everyone from craft beer fans, wine snobs and discerning foodies alike. Located in Kansas City’s upscale riverside neighborhood, The Plaza, Gram & Dun’s space is truly beautiful: dramatic slanted, wooden beamed ceilings overlook sumptuous leather banquettes while a patio (voted amongst the city’s best by local publications including KC Magazine and The Pitch) is ideal for seasonal outdoor dining. Standout dishes include jumbo scallops with blackened cauliflower, Swiss chard and bourbon cherry butter and the hangar steak with warm bacon fingerling potato salad.
Don’t let its strip mall location fool you, Touch is one of the Ozark region’s top restaurants and the winner of awards including 417 Magazine’s ‘Best Fine Dining’ and ‘Best Outdoor Dining’. Established by local restaurateur family the Jalilis, who came to southwest Missouri’s Springfield via Iran, Touch specializes in Mediterranean-influenced contemporary American fare in a space that combines a stylish dining room with its own mezzanine balcony, al fresco dining and a lively lounge serving tapas-style eats and tempting drinks. Enjoy plates that include the much raved about Applewood bacon-wrapped dates with goat cheese and blackened swordfish with poblano lime puree and bean relish.
Inspired by the halcyon days of yore when butcher stores were the hub of local communities, The Block is a unique Webster Groves-based restaurant offering guests seasonal, locally inspired American cuisine with its own in-store, full-service meat counter. A stylish, but cozy space dominated by wood and industrial-chic elements reminds guests that The Block is a contemporary neighborhood restaurant, while its menu full of meaty American favorites harks back to traditional fare, with dishes like smoked brisket sandwich with Swiss cheese, pickled red onions and horseradish cream or butcher’s cut, grass-fed beef with garlic fries and signature steak sauce.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.