With big-city amenities and small-town charm, St. Louis might not be the first place you think of for a romantic getaway, but it should be on the list. For a fun time with your better half, check out the following restaurants, bar, and activities to enjoy together.
Start the Day Right
Half & Half
restaurant, American, $$
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Open for breakfast, brunch, and lunch, the menu at Half & Half ranges from light yogurts and fresh fruit topped with whipped cream, to the heavier hashes, pancakes, and French toast. It’s hard to choose just one, so split with your sweetie to taste a variety. You’ll also find some of the best coffee in the city here. The uplifting space is always filled with light, and the small patio is perfect for people watching in Clayton – when it isn’t too humid to sit outside.
Missouri Botanical Garden
For a bit of nature within the city confines, make your way to the Missouri Botanical Garden in the historic Shaw neighborhood. Traverse all 79 acres to experience the intricate pavilion in the Chinese Garden; the dogwoods and babbling brook in the English Woodland Garden; the paintings, waterfalls, and beaches in the 14-acre Japanese Garden; and much more. The garden also hosts after-hours events, such as their free summer concert series on Wednesdays in May, June, and July. The Botanical Garden and its Chesterfield counterpart, the equally Instagram-worthy Sophia M. Sachs Butterfly House, are popular destinations for romantic outings … as well as weddings and proposals!
Foster your inner child with your young-at-heart other half at the City Museum in downtown St. Louis. Made completely of materials reclaimed from around the city, even the 600,000 square-foot building (55,742 square meters) itself is a converted shoe factory. Climb the treehouse that extends from the first floor to the third; visit the second-floor aquarium; watch the daily circus and inscribe your heart-encased initials on the massive chalkboard on the third floor; and take in the beautiful mosaics on the fourth.
Saint Louis Zoo
The Saint Louis Zoo is consistently voted as a top zoo by the USA Today 10 Best. Admission to the Zoo is always free, though a cost might be associated with select exhibits once inside. See a huge range of animals from all over the world, from penguins and polar bears to capybaras, gorillas, and tigers. Be sure to walk through the beautiful and massive aviary that actually served as the impetus for the zoo; the aviary was only supposed to be available in St. Louis through the 1904 World’s Fair, but the city rallied to keep it, and the zoo slowly came together around it.
St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Game
In St. Louis, few words are more romantic than, “Honey, do you want to go to a Cards game with me?” The locals love their team, and since Ballpark Village opened in 2014, there are plenty of restaurants, bar, and activities right around the stadium for before and after the game. Busch Stadium offers incredible city views, and after an evening winner, you can cuddle up together, and take in the fireworks..
Peddle Boat in Forest Park
restaurant, American, $$$
There is a lot to do and see in Forest Park (for some perspective, it’s actually 500 acres larger than New York’s Central Park). But one of the best—and most romantic—ways to take in the sites is by peddle boat, or opt for a canoe, kayak, or stand-up paddle board. Push off from the historic Boathouse, and take in the many natural sites, monuments, and museums, such as the acclaimed St. Louis Art Museum.
Dinner/dessert/drinks for two
Sasha’s Wine Bar on DeMun
Wine Bar, American, $$
Enjoy a glass of wine and a meal with your loved one at this cozy spot. food options include decadent cheese plates, sweet and savory crepes, salads, and more, all perfectly picked to accompany the large wine list. There are also a few beers and cocktails on offer, if wine isn’t your thing. The side doors open out onto the patio for unobstructed views of DeMun Park.
Baileys’ Chocolate Bar
Brasserie, American, $$
The Brownie Royale, a brownie sundae/banana split hybrid, is reason enough to make the trip to the dimly lit restaurant in Lafayette Square, but it’s only one of many decadent options. For real romance, opt for the Lovers’ Plate, which includes champagne sorbet, a s’mores brownie, red-wine cheesecake, and more – if you can believe it. Try one of the many chocolate-centric cocktails, or opt for sparkling wine, beer, or coffee.
St. Louis Rooftop Terrace Bar
Bar, American, $$
The evening breeze combined with a cold drink at the Rooftop Terrace Bar at Moonrise Hotel is a nice respite from the summer humidity. In the winter, there is an enclosure, so couples can still enjoy gazing out onto the city from high above. The skyline sights, twinkling lights, and manmade moon all make for a great photo backdrop with your loved one.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.