Sharing its geography and history with Mississippi and Tennessee, Southaven nevertheless has a community of restaurants that make it stand out on its own. From fresh seafood and Italian fare to barbecue and Mexican with a twist, Southaven’s dining scene has a warm, welcoming and family oriented attitude typified by Southern hospitality sure to make any diner feel at home. Here are 10 of the best cultural restaurants in Southaven, Mississippi.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Sleek wood floors, shoji-style windows and an open kitchen all under a ceiling a hanging peach blossoms give Naru – a contemporary Japanese restaurant – an authentically Eastern chic feel. Established with the mission of bringing upscale Japanese dining to suburban Southaven, Naru specializes in sushi and hibachi-inspired cuisine typified by long-standing culinary traditions and updated with a highly modern style of presentation. Appetizers include gyoza or beef tataki with ponzu, hot sauce, scallion and sesame seeds, while entrees include crispy duck glazed with a raspberry hoisin sauce and served with grilled French vegetables – perfectly complemented by Haru’s extensive selection of wines, sakes and creative, contemporary cocktails.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dale’s Restaurant is a long-standing Southaven tradition established in 1966 by owners Dale and Lillie Graham. Typified by hearty home cooking and a family-oriented atmosphere, the restaurant has a local and loyal customer base who love its fresh produce and chargrilled steaks and burgers. Dale’s all-American menu features appetizers like Lillie’s fried green tomatoes – a Southern classic of fresh tomato slices battered and deep-fried served with Dale’s tangy tomato sauce. Mains include the Southaven burger topped with onions, green peppers and sautéed mushrooms or, if you dare, the 18 ounce Porterhouse steak. Desserts include classic comfort food like pecan pie and chocolate chip brownies.
Set up by a group of friends who wanted to bring something different to Southaven’s dining scene, Maria’s Cantina serves perhaps not what would be identified as traditional, authentic or expected Mexican, but what the owners call ‘Mexican with a twist’. The restaurant’s tantalizing appetizers feature chicken nachos flavored with lime and tequila or the shrimp and mango ceviche, while entrees include the mahi mahi veracruzano – a filet of mahi topped with an olive, tomato and caper sauce served on a bed of black beans, cilantro-lime rice and grilled vegetables.
Mesquite Chop House
Mesquite Chop House, a local group of restaurants with two Tennessee-based sister branches in Memphis and Germantown, is a carnivore-oriented restaurant with a difference. Using Mesquite wood, which generates very hot flames perfect for grilling meat, the restaurant serves impeccably grilled prime steaks and chops with unique and tasty sides like sautéed asparagus and sweet potato fries. With its dominating dark wood bar, subdued chandelier lighting and exposed brick detail, Mesquite Chop House exudes a classically warm and Southern ambiance, perfect for enjoying an appetizer of broiled gulf oysters in the half shell with a lemon-garlic beurre blanc. For an entrée go for one of the restaurant’s speciality cuts, like its New Zealand rack of lamb marinated in garlic and rosemary and served with a blueberry demi-glace and wild mushroom risotto.
Urban Japanese Fusion Cuisine
Serving modern Japanese fare in an urban setting, Urban Japanese Fusion Cuisine has a menu that encompasses cuisines including Asian fusion, sushi, traditional Japanese and Thai. Opened in November of 2013, the restaurant’s interior is as modern as its tasty fare, with black leather seats, stone walls, exposed ductwork and elegant, contemporary lighting that work to give it a chic industrial feel, while an open kitchen and a fish tank provide extra entertainment. Try a sushi appetizer like rainbow sashimi – a colourful starter of thinly sliced sashimi with jalapenos, asparagus and yuzu sauce – followed by a Thai-inspired entrée of mi korb – fried crispy egg noodles with stir-fried mushrooms, broccoli, tomato, scallion, carrot, onion and pineapple.
Interstate Barbecue is the birthplace of the world-famous Neely’s barbecue dynasty which, since opening its doors 15 years ago, has expanded to include restaurants owned by other Neely family members in New York. Founded by James L. Neely, the restaurant boasts some of the best barbecue in the South and was once hailed by USA Today as the best place in America to get a pork barbecue sandwich. Neely uses a specialized barbecue pit whereby meat is slowly cooked for around five hours over hickory wood, and often accompanied by his secret sauce – a highly guarded secret recipe that has become something of a local legend. To get a real taste of Interstate Barbecue, order the sampler platter which includes pork and beef ribs, sausage links, beef brisket, pork shoulder, barbecue spaghetti, beans, slaw and bread.
Cooking up authentic and affordable Italian fare, Avellino’s is a popular Southaven restaurant that has been a tradition in northern Mississippi for over 30 years. Situated in a handy central Southaven location, Avellino’s specializes in pizza, pasta, sub sandwiches and salads, and its interior includes quaint checked tablecloths, friendly waiting staff and a family-oriented atmosphere which give the restaurant a homely Italian kitchen feel. Choose from plenty of dishes typical of hearty Italian cuisine like lasagne served with a fresh side salad and homemade garlic bread, or a delicious calzone pizza with fillings of your choice. Alternatively, try a sub sandwich, like its top-selling Italian hoagie crammed with ham, pepperoni, Genoa salami, provolone cheese, onions and banana peppers with lettuce, tomato and Avellino’s signature Italian dressing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.