Lowertown, St. Paul, Minnesota, has seen a steady increase in growth in the past decade. Once a former industrial powerhouse, the area experienced disinvestment and made room for artists looking to occupy its beautiful warehouses. Today, the neighborhood is witnessing a new energy, with many exciting entertainment options and festivals to keep all passersby entertained.
Visit the Saint Paul Farmers Market
In addition to the 18 other neighborhood markets in the Twin Cities, the Saint Paul Farmers’ Market is the best place to come for fresh produce, baked goods and meats and cheeses in the Lowertown area. Since its inception in 1902, this market has provided downtown residents access to delicious regional products, ranging from grass-fed bison to delicious farm-harvested maple syrup.
Saint Paul Farmers’ Market, 290 5th St E, St Paul MN, USA, +1 651-227-8101
Do the Saint Paul Art Crawl
Events like the Saint Paul Art Crawl maintain Lowertown’s status as an artist hub. This annual event dates back to 1977, and consists of touring participating galleries to see the finest in local works and creativity. See what all the buzz is about and attend this event, being testament to the strength and longevity of the Saint Paul artistic community.
Attend a Game at CHS Field
As the newly constructed home of the Saint Paul Saints, St. Paul’s minor league baseball team, CHS Field is a the perfect venue to start an evening in Lowertown. As the reincarnation of former Midway Stadium, this 7,000-seat ballpark was designed with Lowertown’s signature style in mind, with its blackened steel, timber and load-bearing masonry. In a day and age of outlandish stadium amenities that favor investors rather than community, CHS Field is a notable, and respected exception.
CHS Field, 360 N Broadway St, St Paul MN, USA, +1 651-644-6659
Attend the Concrete and Grass Music Festival
Set in beautiful Mears Park, the annual Concrete and Grass Music Festival provides festivalgoers with every genre of music imaginable. For three days out of the year, this free event offers the best of the Twin Cities’s vibrant music scene. So, if stopping through St. Paul at the beginning of September, be sure to check this festival out!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Catch a Train at the St Paul Union Depot
Since its construction in the early 20th century and even more so after its renovation, Union Depot has provided Lowertown with an invaluable transportation service with a fully restored, elegant style. Be sure to visit this multimodal transportation hub to capture this piece of must-see Lowertown history.
Union Depot, 214 4th St E, St Paul MN, USA, +1 651-202-2700
Visit the Back Alley Gallery
A visit to Lowertown wouldn’t be complete without visiting an art gallery. The Back Alley Gallery is a great gallery to visit, offering a variety of ceramics, sculptures, workshops and live music. This gallery features the works of Tom Abel, a unique sculptor whose raw, seemingly decaying creations are a must for art lovers everywhere.
Back Alley Gallery, 262 4th St E #2, St Paul MN, USA, +1 612-719-7748
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.