Charlestown is a historic, waterfront neighborhood in Boston. While visitors may only come across this district if they walk to the end of the Freedom Trail, there’s so much more to experience. Locals love this part of the city for its chill vibes, while travelers will enjoy the views, the quaintness, and the number of things to do.
Climb the Bunker Hill Monument
You can’t come all the way to Charlestown and not climb the famous Bunker Hill Monument. History buffs will love climbing up the steps of Bunker Hill to the very top of the monument to peer out over the city. The memorial commemorates the Battle of Bunker Hill, the first important battle of the Revolutionary War. Admission is free, and you can climb the tower between 9:30 am and 4:30 pm. After all of that climbing, relax on the well-kept grounds, which are especially beautiful in summer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Grab a drink on a deck
Locals know that the best views of the city are best taken in with a meal or a drink. Pier 6, which has both a roof deck and a patio area, has panoramic views of Boston’s skyline and harbor. The restaurant is right around the corner from the USS Constitution. Another great dining spot is at the gastropub Brewer’s Fork.
Check out the USS Constitution
The USS Constitution is the oldest commissioned ship in the U.S. Navy. Indeed, Naval officers and crew still board her to serve, as the warship is now operated as a historic site with the National Park Service. Stop by to board the ship and see what life was like on the boat. If you’re interested in learning more, the USS Constitution Museum is close by.
See the Navy Yard
If you’re at the USS Constitution, then you’ve already found the Charlestown Navy Yard! The yard dates back to 1800, and it was a working part of the Navy until 1974. It’s now largely a national park including the section encompassing the USS Constitution and its museum. Grab a pastry or sandwich from a nearby coffee shop (such as Zume’s Coffee) and sit down in the Navy Yard to enjoy the superb views of downtown Boston and Eastie.
Charlestown is a perfect place to bike (though it’s occasionally a little hilly). Bike through the charming streets to explore more of the area. Blue Bikes has locations all around Boston and Charlestown where you can pay as little as $2.50 for a 30-minute ride.
Go window shopping
Few think of Charlestown as a shopping destination, but there are some quaint small businesses along the neighborhood’s streets. Take a stroll down Main St. and pop into boutiques like Mockingbird. Haven Boston and Place & Gather are also nearby.
Take a fitness class
Charlestown is home to families and professionals, so it only makes sense that there are some great fitness studios around. Try out a spin class at Ctowncycle, or take a yoga class at Asana Charlestown. If you aren’t looking to pay for your workouts, you can still go for a heart-pumping run in the park. (Paul Revere Park is another option.)
See the St. Mary – St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church
Stop in to see the beautiful St. Mary – St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church, designed in the 1880s by Patrick Keely, who designed many Catholic churches in America during the 19th century. Be sure to admire the hammer-beam oak ceiling.
Visit a museum
There are plenty of museums to choose from in Charlestown. If you’re looking to soak up more Revolutionary War history, check out the Battle of Bunker Hill Museum for a refresher on the facts. The USS Cassin Young is also a fascinating sight to see, as it was a destroyer ship used in WWII.
Go to the Oldest Tavern in Massachusetts
Plenty of bars claim to be the oldest tavern in Boston or New England or America, but Warren Tavern can actually say it. The bar dates back to 1780, and it was one of Paul Revere’s favorites. It is said that George Washington also stopped by. Grab a pint and revel in the history.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.