In the historic heart of New England, USA, the Harris Farm in Marblehead, Massachusetts, has many nearby hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs for you to book through Culture Trip.
The Harris Farm, a very rare piece of architecture in Marblehead, Massachusetts, dates to the late First Period. Built in 1670, it has just one room on each floor, and despite many adaptations has retained its allure as one of the oldest buildings in the US. There are great hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs available in Marblehead and neighboring Salem, both towns full of New England maritime history and character.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just a few minutes’ drive across Marblehead from the Harris Farm, this charming guesthouse is the perfect base for exploring the historic architecture of the area. A warm welcome and homely furnishings await you, as well as a tasty home-cooked breakfast. Choose to stay in one of the 20 individually designed bedrooms or four apartments, some including a log fire, and some with a jet spa tub as well.
This charming boutique hotel dates to 1871, but its interiors are light and modern, adopting a sweet nautical theme in keeping with the maritime heritage of the area. The 14 rooms and suites come in various shapes and sizes, but all have sophisticated interiors and a mid-century feel, thanks to the carefully selected furnishings. It’s just a five-minute drive through Marblehead to the Harris Farm and numerous other historical sights.
From its origins as the home of a wealthy sea merchant – who had this grand house built somewhere he could literally watch his ships come in – to its time hosting Abraham Lincoln, the Merchant Salem is steeped in history. Now a lavish boutique hotel in the heart of Salem, a 10-minute drive from the Harris Farm, a stay here is truly unique. The beautiful rooms have been restored and repainted with original woodwork, bathtubs and fireplaces.
Another heritage property in Salem, this B&B began life as a mansion built by a wealthy sea captain in 1879. Now found on a leafy, tree-lined street in Salem’s historic center, just a couple of blocks from the coast, the Coach House Inn is fantastically located for exploring Marblehead – only five minutes’ drive away. The big, bright rooms are sprinkled with period features and colorful, retro wallpaper, suiting the house’s history and lending the ambience of days gone by.
This modern hotel might be large, but the service and decor retain so much personality that you’ll feel you’re staying in cozy boutique accommodation. All 44 rooms have an appealing design, with large windows and pops of color surrounding artwork-covered walls. The Roof offers outdoor dining in Salem’s only rooftop bar, which boasts amazing views of the town and serves a killer Mexican menu – the nachos are unmissable.
A beautiful hotel spread across three red-brick townhouses, the Salem Inn is in the historic center of Salem. All of the 40 elegantly presented rooms offer a bathtub to slip into after a busy day’s sightseeing, with many boasting a fireplace to boot. A brilliant, home-cooked breakfast comes with your stay, including made-to-order omelets. Just 10 minutes’ drive from the Harris Farm, the hotel is environmentally minded – avoiding single-use plastics throughout – and dog-friendly, always keen to welcome your canine companions.
In the heart of Salem’s historic town center, 10 minutes’ drive from the Harris Farm, this Historic Hotels of America-listed property first opened in 1925, and has been giving guests a warm welcome ever since. Make sure you dine at the Tavern restaurant and try the local favorite, Steve’s Seafood Chowder. It simmers with shrimp, scallops, haddock, clams and potatoes.
Out on the exclusive island of Marblehead Neck, this lovely New England inn has been totally restored with cherry wood floors, Shaker furniture and original paintings. The guest rooms are full of personality (in particular the book-filled Library Suite), while the inn also offers kayaks, bicycles, and a DVD and CD collection, all just an eight-minute drive from the Harris Farm.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.