Situated south of the Charles River, Back Bay is one of Boston’s most expensive residential neighborhoods, with rows of Victorian brownstone homes; an iconic preservation of 19th century American urban architecture. Back Bay is inhabited by flocks of trendy, young professionals who fuel an ever-bustling nightlife. As such, the neighborhood is densely populated with a variety of drinking spots, from chic cocktail bars to Irish taverns and tequila bars. Here is a list of the best of them.
City Bar is an elegant watering hole located in the boutique, 115-year-old Lenox Hotel. Over the past century, The Lenox has housed many distinguished guests, including Babe Ruth, Judy Garland and John Travolta to name but a few. City Bar is one of three dining options within The Lenox, and exists as a hybrid bar, lounge and restaurant combination. Its dark lighting and swanky, polished décor coupled with a hearty list of wines, cocktails and beers make it an ideal location for a romantic night out.
Address: City Bar, 65 Exeter St, Boston, MA, USA, +1 (617) 933-4800
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Crossroads Irish Pub
Back Bay would not be a proper Bostonian neighborhood without a few good Irish pubs. Crossroads fits the bill here with over 30 beer selections and classic brick and wood decor. It is a popular destination throughout the week, with nightly specials like Monday night trivia and 50-cent wings on Thursdays. While soccer fans may be harder to come by in the States, Crossroads prides itself on being Boston’s official bar of England’s Manchester United, venture on down for a game and you won’t be disappointed.
Address:Crossroads Irish Pub, 495 Beacon St, Boston, MA, USA, +1 (857) 233-5943
Coda Bar + Kitchen
Located just down the road from Copley Square, Coda Bar + Kitchen serves a rotational menu of American Comfort Food from local farms and markets. The bar’s focus is on American craft beers, old world wine and seasonal cocktails, and the beer list itself places heavy emphasis on the unique. Coda’s small size and friendly wait staff make it a hidden nook perfect for escaping from the bustle of city life. Inside, brick walls and warm lighting make Coda a cozy gem for both locals and tourists alike.
Address: Coda Bar + Kitchen, 329 Columbus Ave, Boston, MA, USA, +1 (617) 536-2632
Back Bay Social Club
The Back Bay Social Club is a classy joint aimed at a trendy clientele. Designed to mimic the intimacy of a small, 20th century café, the Social Club attracts a varied crowd with vintage art, chequerboard floors and flat screen TV’s airing different sporting events. The Social Club serves an impressive list of draught, craft and bottled brews, along with a respectable selection of wine and cocktails. The Back Bay Social Club is located across the street from the Hynes Convention Center, and while you may enjoy a casual night at the Social Club, business casual to business attire is appreciated.
Address:Back Bay Social Club, 867 Boylston St, Boston, MA, USA, +1 (617) 247-3200
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.