It’s not just the Red Sox that’s got Beantown bustling during the North End Feasts, a series of extravagant Italian-style meals and processions taking over the streets from June through to September.
After the famine comes the feast – and this summer Boston’s North End Italian Feasts and Processions is ready to break the fast with a banquet of food, fun, and parades from June 6 until September 19, 2021. Far more than simply a food festival, the North End Feasts offer the opportunity for everyone to embrace the Italian heritage and history of Boston’s Little Italy, creating the perfect excuse to make a weekend of it, by booking one of Culture Trip’s curated collections of hotels and experiences.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
June and July are primarily procession-based events. Each Sunday, the community gathers to celebrate religious figures like Madonna delle Grazie, Saint Anthony of Padua and San Rocco. As July makes way to August, the weekly processions are joined by the namesake feasts. Saints such as Agrippina di Mineo, Anthony, and Madonna Della Cava are praised through multi-day festivities. Vendors fill the streets with delicious food as each individual feast and procession carries out its own unique schedule of live performances, activities, and games.
Of the dozen North End Feasts, one of the most popular is the Fisherman’s Feast of the Madonna Del Soccorso di Sciacca. Lasting from Thursday to Sunday, Bostonians celebrate this feast as if it were a second Christmas. These traditions were brought from Sciacca, Sicily, over a century ago, and continue to bring visitors back year after year.
“The city comes to life during our yearly tradition,” said Fisherman’s Feast co-chair, Danny Puccio. “Our neighborhood restaurants, as well as historical sights such as the Paul Revere House and Old North Church, see great footfall as folks from all over come to partake in a true Italian cultural event full of food, family and entertainment.”
The eight-hour procession is followed by the Flight of the Angel ceremony which even the intrepid been-there-done-everything National Geographic considers a can’t-miss spectacle. With the smell of sausage, baked zeppole and cannoli in the air, you’ll instantly be wrapped up in this popular feast and feel like part of the family in no time.
The Fisherman’s Feast is just one of many feasts and processions taking over the North End. With an entire summer full of festivities, you’ll want to attend as many processions as possible – if only for the excuse to eat your way through the North End’s best Italian restaurants.
What isn’t there to do in Boston? From the Freedom Trail to the Samuel Adams Brewery, there’s certainly plenty to fill your weekend itinerary, even if you’ve visited Beantown many times before. View a few classic artworks at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, taking note of the missing pieces too (works by Rembrandt and Vermeer were stolen decades ago, yet their empty frames still remain) before strolling through the tranquil gardens, where mercifully every leaf and stem still seems to be perfectly in place.
Just as accessible as the Freedom Trail, but much more compact, the Greenway along the waterfront plays host to a beer garden and multiple food trucks. Save room for dessert and a slice of – what else? – Boston cream pie at Parker’s Restaurant.
But seriously, how are you going to visit North End Feasts and not dine in at one of the neighborhood’s fantastic Italian restaurants? If a six-course Sunday dinner at Table is a little much for you, La Famiglia Giorgio’s Restaurant will offer up the same loving hospitality with classics like nonna used to make, including gnocchi and eggplant parmesan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.